DEFract 0.5 - 3D fractal explorer. Now with GUI!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
vrld
Party member

Re: DEFract 0.4 - A 3D fractal explorer

Post by vrld »

Wow, great work! :ultrashocked: The window size was a little too big for my puny laptop, but even in a tiny 300x300px window the fractals looked absolutely amazing. Your code is also very clean, congrats on that too.

I added (animated) color to the rendering function. The coloring works well for some of your examples but poor for others. Maybe you can use it :)
Fresh from the furnace
Fresh from the furnace
0163.jpg (154.98 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
0032.jpg
0032.jpg (158.43 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
0006.jpg
0006.jpg (183.85 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
Regarding the canvas issue: If your graphics card does not support canvases, the change that it will support pixel effects is rather slim...
Attachments
defract-color.love
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Error in fractal code
[string "graphics.lua"]:1365:Cannot compile shader:
Fragment shader(s) failed to link, no vertex shader(s) defined.
Fragment Shader not supported by HWWARNING: 0:67: implicit cast from int to float

I tried to run in on my brother's PC, he has an ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series, I ghet the error above. VRLD's one also has the red piece
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Patalo
Prole

Post by Patalo »

Wow, it's becoming quite psychedelic! I love it!
I will integrate this btw, with some modif to be able to disable the animation ('cause it's hard to edit the code while an animated fractal is calculated, my gpu is burning :D)
Thanks for the comment about the code vrld (but I think the lua part of the code is becoming quite bloated). In vector3d.lua you can see some desesperate atempts to make a 3D rotation based on your lib :crazy:
Nixola wrote:Error in fractal code
[string "graphics.lua"]:1365:Cannot compile shader:
Fragment shader(s) failed to link, no vertex shader(s) defined.
Fragment Shader not supported by HWWARNING: 0:67: implicit cast from int to float
Goddamn, I can't find this cast! (with the line number that don't correspond to the lua string and my concatenation of code, it's hard to find the faulty line). What I don't understand is that in GLSL 1.20 casting from int to float is OK. Well, I'll make a sign when I find this one.
coffee wrote:OMG! A Residents based icon? What a cryptic taste! You are indeed the Great Eye(ball) among us! I shall obey you master!
You will live under The Mark of The Mole.
nkorth wrote:I'm on Arch Linux with AMD Fusion and it froze my entire system. Awesome screenshots though!
Hey! Archlinux here too :). Well, seeing your comment I tried with the free nouveau driver, and it sent me a assertion failed. Using mesa-git and nouveau-git from AUR solved the issue (but with bad perfs, and segfault when I quit :p). I'm not comfortable with all the mesa things, and I don't know AMD fusion but maybe it'll work better with another driver (I don't know there's a proprietary and a free driver for AMD fusion)... (and also it's hard to correct crashes without errors :x ) You tried with Windows?

To people who runs it really smoothly, I'm jealous. :awesome:
Wow, this topic is growing fast. I got an exam tomorrow, so I won't be able to progress today.
Current project : 3D fractal explorer DEFract ( viewtopic.php?t=9193)
Github : https://github.com/plule/ | Twitter : http://twitter.com/plule_
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Patalo wrote:What I don't understand is that in GLSL 1.20 casting from int to float is OK. Well, I'll make a sign when I find this one.
Well, it's not that it's not allowed, it's that you should do so with a cast, not let the compiler do it implicitly.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

My friend has got many computers :3
On a notebook, with an AMD Radeon HD 7450M it runs more smoothly than on his other PC!
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
monkyyy
Citizen

Post by monkyyy »

very very cool looking, now if only i could understand it :/

edit// i may not know what excectly i did but i made it colorful version extra colorful but changing lines 79-83 to

Code: Select all

color.a = 1. - float(i)/maxIterations;
	color.xyz = wrap(p / length(p));
	color.x = dot(color.xzy, color.zyx) * .1 + .9 * wrap(time * .05);
	color.y = color.y + 10;
	color.z = (color.z * .7 + .5) * color.a;
Attachments
DEFract_2.jpg
DEFract_2.jpg (599.07 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
DEFract_1.jpg
DEFract_1.jpg (557.66 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
DEFract_3.jpg
DEFract_3.jpg (652.5 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

This is pretty cool. It would be cool to see a less intensive application used in a game somehow, perhaps for particle effects. Anyways, I took this screen because it reminded me of a tunnel of some sort in a sci-fi environment, like Star Wars or Mass Effect.

Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Patalo
Prole

Post by Patalo »

Lafolie wrote:This is pretty cool. It would be cool to see a less intensive application used in a game somehow, perhaps for particle effects
I was thinking about this. Since the fractals are defined by a function that take a point in the space and calculate how far is the fractal from this point, it would be really easy to calculate collisions. But using theses functions outside of the shader happens to be a nightmare. I tried this to have an automatic adjustement of the precision of the render (if you are close from a surface, it's more precise and you are slower), but there is a lot of things I don't understand (like points in the space that act like if they are in the fractal), so it's a bit disapointing...
Current project : 3D fractal explorer DEFract ( viewtopic.php?t=9193)
Github : https://github.com/plule/ | Twitter : http://twitter.com/plule_
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I think that just rendering them in 2D as 'hit sparks' or something would be cool. Or for a trippy background like the Sonic special stages.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
zipperipper
Prole

Post by zipperipper »

All instances of it run fine for me, I have AMD Radeon HD 6670.
Error 404, consciousness not found.