Other (programming) languages...

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
jaber
Prole

Other (programming) languages...

Post by jaber »

Can I port LOVE to other scripting language like Python, Ruby?
Or perhaps just in C++.
Gerrit
Prole

Re: Other (programming) languages...

Post by Gerrit »

jaber wrote:Can I port LOVE to other scripting language like Python, Ruby?
Or perhaps just in C++.
Part of the ZLIB license:
Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely.
So you may port Löve to Python or Ruby. I don't see the point for C++ as there are enaugh other libs that help you out there.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

I'd love to see a Ruby and a Python port. Lua's great, but it feels too limited here and there. Although if I were personally going to be porting this to another language, it'd be a subset of BASIC. Why? I'm insane, haven't you figured that out by now?
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
jaber
Prole

Post by jaber »

Okay, i planned to port it into Python, and need some help.

I found some file called "LuaGame.h" and "LuadGame.cpp" that parse Lua code to a runnable LOVE game.
Can anyone tell me how this things works? Can I just change it into Python by importing (embeddable) Python intepreter, do thisandthat, or something else?
I can do some C++ here.
rollbak
Prole

Post by rollbak »

Hello,

I am new to LOVE, i came from python world but i like the way LOVE is structured and i want to give you a hand in making a python binding/implementation.

rollbak
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

jaber wrote:Okay, i planned to port it into Python, and need some help.

I found some file called "LuaGame.h" and "LuadGame.cpp" that parse Lua code to a runnable LOVE game.
Can anyone tell me how this things works? Can I just change it into Python by importing (embeddable) Python intepreter, do thisandthat, or something else?
I can do some C++ here.
*lol* I guess you just disqualified yourself for a project like this. You can't just replace those two files with a python interpreter as there are a lot more things written especially for lua. Every call from lua to C has lines somewhere. Just look at the OpenGL/Lua interface and you know what I mean. This is a massive project, trust me.
benob
Prole

Post by benob »

have you tried pygame and rubygame? they offer the same kind of functionality as love (I don't mean to drive you away from love).