Experiment: Motion Blur with Physics

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
ishkabible
Party member

Re: Experiment: Motion Blur with Physics

Post by ishkabible »

I'm getting 450 frames per second on this with standard settings. if change it to 50 frames and 10 alpha multiplier, I get 350 frames per second.

O, and I have a slight suggestion for look improvement when you getting it working with fewer frames; have the blurred objects have an alpha gradient in the direction the object is moving so that when blur ends, it blends seamlessly into the next blur. that way it doesn't look anywhere near as choppy.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I've no idea what's going on then.

The problem is, each object is moving a different way between frames. The only ways I can think of accomplishing that couldn't justify the performance drop. Besides that, I wouldn't even know how to generate an alpha gradient.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I've worked out what the problem is. If you have V-Sync turned off, the frames per second will generally be much higher than 60. Since the effect relies on the difference between frames, how much blur you see is dependent on the frame rate. If the number of motion blur frames stays the same, you'll see less motion blur as the frame rate goes up. The only clean way that I know of to fix this is V-Sync.
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Modern Art. You can buy my creation for 1.9999,99 € !
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Very impressive. You seem to have a good hold of the physics module. Make a game :P
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

I made it use 1 canvas and also made it almost the same no matter what FPS. V enables/disables vsync.
edit:
Attachments
motion blur edit.love
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Larsii30: Honestly, if you were a somewhat famous artist, you could just apply a blur and smudge filter (perhaps some colour desaturation as well) to that and sell it for a great deal of money. :P

Lafolie: This was my little experiment to get used to the new system. I may well make something... we'll see. :)

retrotails: That's brilliant! Took me a while to get how you did it. I still don't understand the exact meaning of the numbers in "dt*15*255".
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

BlackBulletIV wrote: retrotails: That's brilliant! Took me a while to get how you did it. I still don't understand the exact meaning of the numbers in "dt*15*255".
Thanks. math.clamp(dt*15*255, 4, 255) is the transparency, as such when you have a high dt, you have a low FPS, so it turns up the alpha so you don't have ridiculous blur, and vice versa. 4 and 255 are nice minimum & maximum values (I think above 255 and it wraps around, not good!). It's still dt*15*255 instead of dt*3825 because 15 is 1/4 of 60 (normal monitor refresh rate) and it's a good, easy number to change.
Think of it like this: If you have vsync at 60 FPS, dt will be 1/60. If it was dt*60*255, at 60 FPS, the function would output 255. 100% alpha means every frame gets 100% overwritten, in other words no blur. So I made is 15, and now every frame gets overwritten with 1/4 alpha.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ah, I think I mostly understand now. Thanks. :)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Well you've basically got a platforming engine right here. Make a level and run around it, eventually you will think "what happens here if xyz...".
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.