Rubber Piggy? Help

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
PedroChurro
Prole

Rubber Piggy? Help

Post by PedroChurro »

Hello,
So I'm new to the forums and I'm new to programming with LÖVE programming, and I've been following some tutorials on Youtube to understand this, but I'm having some troubles.
Basically, everytime I try to launch a game it a appears just a "Rubber Piggy"(a pig and some hearts flying around him). This didn't happen to me at the first time, but it started happening now.
So, if you could tell me what I'm doing wrong, it would be awesome.
Also, sorry for my bad english, english is not my principal language and I try not to use Google Translate.
I try to make games.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Rubber Piggy? Help

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Rubber Piggy is the no-game screen. It basically means that love is running fine on your computer, and it waits for a game to run.
So find a *.love file, drag it and drop it on love executable, and it should run fine.
Or Have a look here, the getting started section, for more pointers.
PedroChurro
Prole

Post by PedroChurro »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Rubber Piggy is the no-game screen. It basically means that love is running fine on your computer, and it waits for a game to run.
So find a *.love file, drag it and drop it on love executable, and it should run fine.
Or Have a look here, the getting started section, for more pointers.
Thanks for answearing so quickly, but that didn't actually answeared my question. I know that's a no-game screen, but in my case, it should be a game screen, because there's actual code and stuff. My question is, why does love loads a no-game screen?
I try to make games.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

PedroChurro wrote:I know that's a no-game screen, but in my case, it should be a game screen, because there's actual code and stuff. My question is, why does love loads a no-game screen?
How did you try to run your game? Maybe you made a mistake in one of the steps you took.

Also, does that happen with every game or just the one you're working on right now?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
PedroChurro
Prole

Post by PedroChurro »

Robin wrote:
PedroChurro wrote:I know that's a no-game screen, but in my case, it should be a game screen, because there's actual code and stuff. My question is, why does love loads a no-game screen?
How did you try to run your game? Maybe you made a mistake in one of the steps you took.

Also, does that happen with every game or just the one you're working on right now?
First, I zipped the files, changed from .zip to .love and run it normally

Then, I tried zipping the files, drag them a drop it into the a love launcher, but none of them worked.

And, I'm not even working on a game, I'm still testing pictures, text and stuff.

Here's the main.lua(currently the only file):

Code: Select all

function love.load()

medium = love.graphics.newFont(45)

text = "Test"

end
function love.update()

end
function love.draw()
    love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255)
	love.graphics.print(text, 500,500)

end
I try to make games.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

What operating system do you use?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I have a curious question for the devs.

Why doesn't Löve have an "Open .love" feature to help these people who have this problem? Is there a technical reason?
pk
Citizen

Post by pk »

PedroChurro, don't bother zipping folders while you are working on stuff. When you want to share, make a .love file, but making a .zip for every small change will drive you insane!

Let's say you are working on a game called POOP. Make a folder named POOP and put main.lua, conf.lua, etc. into that folder. Now all you have to do is grab the POOP and drag it on top of LOVE, and you can test your game out.

If you do want to create a .love file, you do not select the POOP folder and send the whole thing into POOP.zip! You go into the POOP folder, select all the files, and send all those individual files into POOP.zip. Rename it to POOP.love, drag it onto the LOVE program, and it should run.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
PedroChurro
Prole

Post by PedroChurro »

pk wrote:PedroChurro, don't bother zipping folders while you are working on stuff. When you want to share, make a .love file, but making a .zip for every small change will drive you insane!

Let's say you are working on a game called POOP. Make a folder named POOP and put main.lua, conf.lua, etc. into that folder. Now all you have to do is grab the POOP and drag it on top of LOVE, and you can test your game out.

If you do want to create a .love file, you do not select the POOP folder and send the whole thing into POOP.zip! You go into the POOP folder, select all the files, and send all those individual files into POOP.zip. Rename it to POOP.love, drag it onto the LOVE program, and it should run.
Thank you, this worked.It will also help me ALOT when working on a game, I didn't know you could just drag a folder into LOVE, I thougt I need to zip it first.
Thank you for all the answears, from what I'm seeing, this forum is awesome!
I try to make games.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Jasoco wrote:I have a curious question for the devs.

Why doesn't Löve have an "Open .love" feature to help these people who have this problem? Is there a technical reason?
But this feature exists! It works well on Linux. I think it works on Windows too if you properly install LÖVE.