Musical: automatic music generation

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Robin
The Omniscient

Musical: automatic music generation

Post by Robin »

This is a small thingy, which I'm writing for a future game (which will be so large I'm going to make it piece by piece).

The melody in this demo is short, only a bit random (it repeats the same fragment over and over again with minor differences) and not at all good. I hope to collaborate with someone with a background in music for the actual game.

It generates the music in small chunks, which are put into a queue. The music generator thread sleeps as long as there is no demand for a new piece of music.

Keys:
  • space: toggle soft notes
  • d: toggle dampening
  • escape: quit
Attachments
musical.love
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Musical: automatic music generation

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Looks great (and atrociously complex, too :D). Sound programming scares me... :awesome:
It will be better (maybe ?) to print some informations, such as the dampening state, actual queue size (seems to be always <3), softnotes status...
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Looks great (and atrociously complex, too :D). Sound programming scares me... :awesome:
Really? I thought it was fairly simple. What seems so complex to you?
Roland_Yonaba wrote:It will be better (maybe ?) to print some informations, such as the dampening state, actual queue size (seems to be always <3), softnotes status...
Yeah, I will make lots of improvements and add a heap of cool stuff. This is just some things I threw together that seemed to work pretty neatly.

By the way, my plan was to always keep the queue short, so that the game can respond quickly to changes in the situation (suddenly, you're under attack. At that exact moment, the calm, quiet music changes in something frantic and slowly turns bombastic as the battle heats up). So to make the music not lag behind several seconds, the game will flush the queue when something like that happens. That means it would be useless to make the queue grow to a large size, because some of that will be thrown away without playing it anyway. Might as well not generate too much of that stuff in the first place. Realistically, with how fast each chunk is "rendered", I suspect that the game will rarely need a queue size of > 1 anyway.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Definitely looks interesting.
Lua is not an acronym.
paritybit
Citizen

Post by paritybit »

That's very cool. I'm so sound stupid. Where would somebody go to try to understand why that code seems to be so short but does so much? I expected that prerecorded sounds were being strung together or something. I guess I have a lot to learn.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

paritybit wrote:Where would somebody go to try to understand why that code seems to be so short but does so much?
You can start at sound and then look at frequency. Short answer: math.sin is really cool.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

What license is the code released in?
Lua is not an acronym.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

None yet. But it's going to be part of a game which I might release under the MIT license for.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

I can help you with musical stuff if you want.
Jamie
Prole

Post by Jamie »

I love it, definitely going to be experimenting with this and posting what I find.