[Platformer] GiLL Pre-Alpha Demo

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Larsii30
Party member

[Platformer] GiLL Pre-Alpha Demo

Post by Larsii30 »

Hey everyone,

i'm currently working on a platformer called 'GiLL' and want to release the first demo right now.
Please note that GiLL is very early in devlopment and contain a pretty ugly source code,
may pretty ugly bugs and pretty little content. The maps in this version just represent the current
stage of devlopment and will get changed in future versions.

I release this because I never can wait very long to show things I've done.
( maybe this is a illness ? >.<' )

• - Control GiLL with the arrow keys / WASD
    - Use W / SPACE / UP to jump
    - Interact with X
Known Problems
  • - Game crashs while trying to enable fullscreen with scale - 2
    - fullscreen isn't stretched to 16:9
Ffpll.jpg
Ffpll.jpg (63.32 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Download
Newest:
GiLL008c_demo.love
fixed signs
(441.16 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
This is the last updated version of the pre-alpha demo.

Older Versions:
GiLL008bfix_demo.love
fixed a collision bug / spikepads get reset on player respawn / added 3 new start maps
(476.39 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
( uses canvas! )

Every feedback and bug reporting is welcome, if you find something
write it as issue on the GitHub page.

greets
Last edited by Larsii30 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
micha
Inner party member

Re: [Platformer] GiLL Pre-Alpha Demo

Post by micha »

Very nice. Very consistend graphics, smooth and precise control. It's quiet difficult, but I suppose you are aware of that.

One fine detail on the gameplay: I assume you have some kind of timer running in the background that control the spikes, that pop up. When the player dies, the timer should be reset, so that the level is in the same state, everytime you restart a level. (To make that more clear, imagine spikes left to the players start. When the level starts, I press the right button immediately and hold it down. The result should be the same everytime, that means either I can cross the spikes safely everytime or I run into them every time. As it is now, sometimes the spikes will be up, and sometimes down.)
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Thanks.

That's a good idea. I change that.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Looks good. Though I couldn't get past the first set of floor spikes. And it bugs me a lot, I thought I was pretty decent at this kind of games... I guess I was wrong xD
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Ellohir wrote:Looks good. Though I couldn't get past the first set of floor spikes. And it bugs me a lot, I thought I was pretty decent at this kind of games... I guess I was wrong xD
It's hard to find the right difficulty, because I played it a lot ( of course :D ) and I rush through all maps in 1 minute.
A friend also said that it's pretty hard, so for next releases I will add some pretty simple tutorial maps at the beginning.
Also I will integrate my "Another Level Editor!" into the game so everyone is able to create his own maps.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

very nice ^^. i think the difficulty is just right. but then again i like hard games. keep it up man!
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Nice update! With the tutorial levels I got used to the controls and when I got to those floor spikes I hated I passed them on the first try! :D

I got to the next screen but trying to read the sign got me a blue screen:

lua/objects/sign.lua:49 attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Uhh yes I forgot to add text to the signs in the last levels. I will fix that.
Thanks for reporting :)
holothurian
Prole

Post by holothurian »

This is pretty cool. I like how precise the controls are, although I am not a fan of this type of game. The lighting doesn't seem to have much impact as the player's light is so strong - might be worth making your inherent light much weaker so the torches stand out more. Also because the background is black, you do not really see the effect of some of the torches because they are just hanging in space and illuminating nothing.

The grammar on some of the signs is also a little off, but then again my german is worse so I'm not sure I am in a good place to criticise!
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

First, thanks for your post.
holothurian wrote:This is pretty cool. I like how precise the controls are, although I am not a fan of this type of game. The lighting doesn't seem to have much impact as the player's light is so strong - might be worth making your inherent light much weaker so the torches stand out more. Also because the background is black, you do not really see the effect of some of the torches because they are just hanging in space and illuminating nothing.
Because the players light got a big impact on the gameplay it has to be pretty big in my opinion so it's possible to see obstacles in time and let the player react fast enough. I look if I could improve something here a bit.
holothurian wrote: The grammar on some of the signs is also a little off, but then again my german is worse so I'm not sure I am in a good place to criticise!
yeah. No idea how I've got this good mark in english on my school certificate some years ago. :D
Feel free to correct it for me ;)