3D Shadows in a 2D Sprite Environment - WIP

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
wssmith04
Prole

3D Shadows in a 2D Sprite Environment - WIP

Post by wssmith04 »

substitute541 wrote:Please don't double post (in this case, double^2 post). Just update the thread, not add more posts.
*sigh* Any comments or constructive criticism regarding the topic itself? My progress in trying to achieve 3D shadows in a 2D sprite environment?

I think my biggest mistake was thinking that it was worthwhile to share my efforts to create realistic 3D shadows in a 2D environment. It seems pretty groundbreaking (to me, at least). Other than the awesome game LoD and Matt Greer's experiments, the avenue looked uncharted for the most part. I wanted to share my efforts to anyone else who is also facing difficult but exciting programming challenges, not just users who would like 2D games with 3D shadows.

However, the thread didn't garner many replies -- those two, I am very grateful for -- so I can only assume that it was deemed an unimportant pursuit by Love2d users. Maybe realistic 3D shadows in a 2D environment are not as appealing to other people as they are to me. And when somebody replies and doesn't comment even on the topic itself, then that confirms it: my topic, my efforts, and my endeavors are either unpopular and/or pointless.

I'm sorry I bumped my own thread with a new post after two weeks of no progress updates. I've heard a little about the practice of keeping threads small in order to save on technical resources, so I think I'm understanding your reasoning for telling me not to post new messages. I'm also heeding your complete lack of acknowledgement of my topic, too. It shows me that I should have listened to the silent majority's opinion and allowed the thread to drift further down the pages.

Thanks for opening my eyes. I've removed as much of my content from this thread as I could and will continue my programming efforts in secret.

Jasoco wrote:I dunno. The last post was on the 12th and it's the 29th now. I think it's well within reason to bump. I mean there's no other way to bump the thread if you happen to be the last person to have posted in it two weeks prior without posting again, or alternatively, edit the last post, cut all the text in it, delete the last post, post a new post with the previous post and the new stuff. Then it'll be one post but will have bumped the thread. Though it will also have the new date so... don't do that.

It's not like he bumped a thread after less than a day. If he had just updated the OT, no one would have known there was a change. In this case a bump was required. I think we're getting way too anal about double-posting. There's a threshold and I think this case was well outside that threshold... or inside it.. or whatever. I don't know thresholds.
Thank you -- sincerely -- for saying that.

13/01/30 Update: found a neat way to have height map information for both the front and back of an object... all in one bitmap! (Using rgb channels for multiple height values.) Shadows for the unseen sides of a bitmap sprite is possible!! My latest test is not perfect, but it looks nice. It's still buggy, though: it works for a simple cube lattice but not for my player-character object (which looks like a scarecrow). Still, a little progress is better than none!
Last edited by wssmith04 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
--Will
verilog
Citizen

Re: 2.5D, sprites, lighting, and shadows game WIP

Post by verilog »

Hey Will,
Your lighting demo looks superb, you got some very nice effects going on, well done! Glad to hear you're enjoying all this stuff, as I think that's the real fuel that keeps us developing all these crazy projects. Keep it up, man! :crazy:
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Wow, the colourful lighting is beautiful. <3
Lua is not an acronym.
wssmith04
Prole

Post by wssmith04 »

2.5D, sprites, lighting, and shadows game WIP
Last edited by wssmith04 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Will
wssmith04
Prole

Post by wssmith04 »

Last edited by wssmith04 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Will
wssmith04
Prole

Post by wssmith04 »

--Will
wssmith04
Prole

Post by wssmith04 »

--Will
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Please don't double post (in this case, double^2 post). Just update the thread, not add more posts.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

substitute541 wrote:Please don't double post (in this case, double^2 post). Just update the thread, not add more posts.
I dunno. The last post was on the 12th and it's the 29th now. I think it's well within reason to bump. I mean there's no other way to bump the thread if you happen to be the last person to have posted in it two weeks prior without posting again, or alternatively, edit the last post, cut all the text in it, delete the last post, post a new post with the previous post and the new stuff. Then it'll be one post but will have bumped the thread. Though it will also have the new date so... don't do that.

It's not like he bumped a thread after less than a day. If he had just updated the OT, no one would have known there was a change. In this case a bump was required. I think we're getting way too anal about double-posting. There's a threshold and I think this case was well outside that threshold... or inside it.. or whatever. I don't know thresholds.
qaisjp
Party member

Re: 3D Shadows in a 2D Sprite Environment - WIP

Post by qaisjp »

For fucks sake, don't change the the topic content to different content. People like you will get me banned for ranting like this, DIFFERENT CONTENT = NEW TOPIC! Don't mess up the replies to the topic!
Lua is not an acronym.