Sector 53 [RPG/Ship Shooter]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Sector 53 [RPG/Ship Shooter]

Post by Kjell Granlund »

** EDIT 1-20-2013 adding the current .love for a sample of the progress **

Hello all. I am new to Love and programming. I started learning last week (1-4-12) with my first "hello world" and Now I have come a long way. I wanted to share my progress so far. This is a few days old but as I get further I will update as needed.

First of all I will describe the game. This is a 2d shooter/rpg. If you have played Eve Online then you will understand some of the concepts I will be describing. You will move in space on a grid based map.

Random encounter will happen and you will enter a battle mode. The battle mode will be similar to an old fashioned space shooter and the player can move up or down. The enemy will do the same. I might add the ability to move left and right to a degree. The player can click on the different weapons to fire and each weapon will have a cool down period. There are also speacial abilities you can use that will work the same. The health stats will be Shield, Armor, and Hull/Structure. I have not decided on the names yet but basically your shiled will always start out at full with each new battle. Armor and Hull will need to be repaired at a space station. If your Hull ever reaches 0 then your ship is destroyed. Same for the enemy. Some weapons will be able to go through shields while others will need to take the shield out before affecting Armor and Hull.

The inventory screens will allow you to costumize your ship with different weapons and ammo plus special modules that can affect weapons. For instance a Turrent with Armor Piercing Bullets and a Over Heated module that will allow you to shoot faster than normal (shorter weapon delay between shots). The equip screen is still a WIP so here is a basic concept.

And finally the last bit that adds a real classic rpg twist to this shooter will be the walking in stations and planets. This portion will also have random battles but these battles will be like jrpgs in the turn based style. The player will have a party and each member will be able to level up and be equiped with different items. So basically this game will have two styles of battle encounters. Ground, jrpg turn based, and space, real time shooter.

I have alot of the design already made and still working on graphics. For now everything will be in space until I polish that bit. Then I will move into the coding for the ground style game play. There will be a storyline, but the story will be more or less optional and also random missions. The finished game will have a sandbox feel to it. I would love opinions and ideas. I hope I made everything clear.

A side note, I plan to have this game finished in about 2 years. Just something to do in my spare time. I will post up a new demo this next week. I am redoing alot of the code based on some new discovories I have made with programming!

**EDIT 01-18-2013**

Also here are the old battle engines https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xccv6e0kbpzo84s/SvRnh0bK7w I am working on the newest one and the new one on there is old and broken. There are two versions. One is simple and works and the other is buggy as hell.
Attachments
game.love
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
Last edited by Kjell Granlund on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
wssmith04
Prole

Re: My first Game "Sector 53"

Post by wssmith04 »

Cool!!! Solid gameplay, nice graphics.

Suggestions:
faster-tempo music, maybe
increase the movement speed of the ships and bullets

You're off to a great start. Keep up the good work! :awesome:
--Will
Izzo
Prole

Post by Izzo »

Cool idea,

here's my suggestion lower/limit the shoot rate of the player

Btw, are you new to programming in general or programming in Lua?
This code is structured very well, if you have not programmed before then this is amazing progress :o
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Post by Kjell Granlund »

Wow thanks! Yeah I am new to programming and decided to choose Lua because I read up on Love. So the issue with player shoot rate is fixed. I have also designed a HUD.

I am switching between graphics and sounds back to code. Alot to do for one person, but progress is being made. I finally learned how to save and load data, so saved games are possible. Also adding in three HP types. Shield, Armor, and Hull (idea from Eve) Thanks again everyone! I hope I can make this a nice polished game in two years. Alot for someone with no experience, but with the help I get from the forums, it will be possible. I will work hard to have a demo of the inventory management out next week or so. Then back to working on the battle system!

*edit* So I have to ask, is it a good idea to try and keep everything modular? Like have the battle system in one file and the space movement overview in another and the inventory management in another?
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

First of all, awesome work! Keep it up :)
Kjell Granlund wrote:So I have to ask, is it a good idea to try and keep everything modular? Like have the battle system in one file and the space movement overview in another and the inventory management in another?
Yes, it is a good idea to strive for a modular design. Not only does it help keep a codebase cleaner and easier to understand, because it is easier to look for certain code and logic for example, but it also makes it more easy to reuse that code for future projects. Like imagine a sequel, or possibly even an entirely different game, which uses the same battle system but makes significant changes to inventory management. That will be easier to do if you have a modular design to work with.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Re: Sector 53 [RPG/Ship Shooter]

Post by Kjell Granlund »

Ok guys I am back with my basic inventory management portion of the game. All I have done so far is made an item you can drag to the white box. If you let go of the item and its not in the white box then it resets to its original position. If it is in the white box then it stays there. So just a click and drag with collision box. I know this is very basic but once I clean the code and optomize it then it will become a way to outfit your ship with weapons and ammo. Just click and drag a weapon from your cargo hold to the weapon slot. The code and names will be changing. Also if anyone knows a better way of doin this then please let me know. I am still learning and this took well too long for my liking to understand. Also the reason its just a white box and single item is because I have not yet made the HUD for the inventory and equip screen. So yeah let me know what you think! I will keep working on it and hopefully have a better update this weekend (college and fulltime work kinda make things even harder... Stupid work)
Attachments
Equip Test.love
Demo Equip
(45.41 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

The Equip demo looks great :)
My suggestions for the Equip Test are:
Behaviour - Make the point that the object is held at the same as where it was grabbed
Fanciness - If you want to really polish it, have the object tween its position from where you dropped it to the destination.
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Post by Kjell Granlund »

xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:The Equip demo looks great :)
My suggestions for the Equip Test are:
Behaviour - Make the point that the object is held at the same as where it was grabbed
Fanciness - If you want to really polish it, have the object tween its position from where you dropped it to the destination.
I am not sure how to do that bit of behavior. Thats what I wanted but couldnt get it right (then again I havent slept in a day...) I have to look at the code tomorrow with fresh eyes. And the tween thing. You mean have it slowly go into the fixed position from where you dropped it? Like if its not in the square all the way it will move slowly to snap in place? I have not heard of tween and I assume that is what you mean. I have an idea of how to do that. I also need to make it so if you move it out of the right box and not back into the left one then it will snap back to the right one since that was its new original position. Basically it needs to remember where it came from when you pick it up. Think I did that already in the code but I just didnt use it.
ejmr wrote:First of all, awesome work! Keep it up :)
Kjell Granlund wrote:So I have to ask, is it a good idea to try and keep everything modular? Like have the battle system in one file and the space movement overview in another and the inventory management in another?
Yes, it is a good idea to strive for a modular design. Not only does it help keep a codebase cleaner and easier to understand, because it is easier to look for certain code and logic for example, but it also makes it more easy to reuse that code for future projects. Like imagine a sequel, or possibly even an entirely different game, which uses the same battle system but makes significant changes to inventory management. That will be easier to do if you have a modular design to work with.
Thanks, I didnt even think about using the code again in a future project. I was doing it for order. Thanks. The biggest issue I will have is linking all of them together in the final game. I have been keeping that on the backburner on how it will work. Should be a hell of a learning experience...
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

For tweening:
-Keep a list of things that are being tweened with a function to give where it should be with respect to time, and when it should end.

For holding where it was picked up:
ItemPos=where the object is (top left corner of it, to be exact)
MousePos=where the mouse is

-Mouse is clicked on Item:
Offset=ItemPos-MousePos

-Mouse is dragging:
ItemPos=MousePos+Offset

EDIT:
Forgot to say that your assumption about tweening is correct.
Kjell Granlund
Prole

Post by Kjell Granlund »

So I am thinking about using the particle system for things like thruster animations and missles and such. Seeing the theme of my game so far, do you think it would look better to do pixel art for such things or the particle system. Also anyone with experience, is the particle system hard to learn for a complete noobie?

Also thanks for the feedback. I will try to do the tweening bit. I also didnt know there was a way to get a pictures width and such. So I am going to change the code so it is more plug n playable. I am also considering working a way to make different resolutions work and perhaps fullscreen. That would be in an options menu. But first I am going to continue with the inventory management. Maybe create the HUD for it tonight and show you all.