Downward Compatible?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
sauer2
Citizen

Re: Downward Compatible?

Post by sauer2 »

Wow, thank you!!
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

In the Project and Demos forum, almost all .love attachments are for version 0.5.0, even if the threads themselves don't inform anyone of their versions. This isn't going to last. When version 0.6.0 comes out, it'll be filled with 0.6.0 .love projects, too. New threads are also just as likely to not inform the version of the project attached. The forum will be cluttered with .love projects from every version. As 0.7.0, 0.8.0 comes out, newer users may have no clue which love binary will be able to open attachments they can download from the forums.

I suggest, at every release of a major new version of love that breaks compatibility, we rename the current "Project and Demos" forum to, e.g "Project and Demos for [version]", then make a new "Project and Demos" forum. Put all the old Project and Demos forums into a section labeled something like "Project and Demos for previous versions".

This way, users know which version of the love binary they'll need to run the attachments they have just downloaded.

You might assume that people aren't going to post in threads with old versions, but IMHO this is too big an assumption to make.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Good call. How about making the default file extension for 0.6.0 .love6 or something?

On the other hand, LÖVE's just alpha, and new extensions is going to add a lot of confusion and retyping. And as for separate forums: it might be better to do declare the love version on a per-project basis. Having multiple project forums is going to make it less searchable and might (I'm not sure of that) break hyperlinks.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Robin wrote:Good call. How about making the default file extension for 0.6.0 .love6 or something?
On the other hand, LÖVE's just alpha, and new extensions is going to add a lot of confusion and retyping.
I think it should stay '.love'. When 0.6.0 comes out, I see people distributing 0.5.0 projects as independent system specific executables.
Robin wrote:And as for separate forums: it might be better to do declare the love version on a per-project basis. Having multiple project forums is going to make it less searchable and might (I'm not sure of that) break hyperlinks.
I don't think it will break any forum links. I'm pretty sure each thread has a topic-id that goes everywhere with them.

I'm for separating the forum or creating a tag-system that is displayed on the thread list. Or at the very least, create a template post such as the one below and require in the title of the post a LOVE version number.

Game Name:
Author(s):
Objective:
LOVE version:
Controls:
How to play:
Last edited by TechnoCat on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:I don't think it will break any forum links. I'm pretty sure each thread has a topic-id that goes everywhere with them.
Maybe. But thread urls include forum ids. Will those stay the same if the forum gets renamed and moved around?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Awesome. The only problems I have with it then is that I like the way it is, and making separate forums for different versions practically forces one to make multiple threads if they support more than one version (as I'm trying to achieve with Jump Game).
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I still think a default post template would work. And a way to know what versions are supported without opening the thread.

Game Name and Version:
Author(s):
Objective:
LOVE version:
Controls:
How to Play:
Screenshots:
Download:

Edit: I can see moving all projects to http://slipfeed.com/ with 0.6.0 actually.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TechnoCat wrote:Edit: I can see moving all projects to http://slipfeed.com/ with 0.6.0 actually.
Now there's an idea. It's pretty LÖVE-centric already, anyway. I already had a project page there for Jump Game.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

TechnoCat wrote:Edit: I can see moving all projects to http://slipfeed.com/ with 0.6.0 actually.
Hehe, I really wouldn't mind if you do ;)
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)