trAInsported

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Germanunkol
Party member

trAInsported

Post by Germanunkol »

UPDATE: New version online. See "Download" below.

Fellow Lovers,

I need some lua-capable testers for my new game.
It's in alpha-state, please excuse any bugs.
I also need windows and mac testers, because I have no windows/mac here - some parts of the game might not work on those machines yet because I do some file/folder manipulation in the game directory. If there's any issue with file creation or reading, please report!

Introducing: trAInsported

In the near future, trains have been replaced by trAIns, rail-bound vehicles controlled by AI. It is your job to create this AI as you play the tutorials, challange maps and random matches. When your AI is ready, upload it to let it challange other players in live matches on the online server!

Image Image Image

Website

Official Website (Check out for images and for info on upcoming live matches and score lists)

Getting started
  • To start off, play through the tutorials.
  • Once you get the hang of it, create an AI which is as good as possible in the matches that you set up using "Compete" in the main menu.
  • Upload that AI to the server, to watch it compete against other AIs! The server will automatically choose the AIs that have not been in many matches than the ones who've been online for a long time. This means that after uploading, your AI should be in a live match within the next 10 Minutes or so. Check the website to see upcoming matches!
  • Check out the included Documentation.html for a full list of functions to use in your AI.
Other stuff:

Please take the game and website apart wherever you can. I want to know security issues as soon as possible. The AI scripts created by the players are executed in a sandbox - if there's any security problems with that I want to know before I show the game to a broader audience.

Trivia:
  • The main server (and webserver) are running on my raspberry pi. That means it might be a little slow sometimes... There might even be a bit of downtime now and then, please excuse this!
  • The challenge maps aren't done yet. Once done with the tutorial, you can try to create an AI which will do well in the "random" matches or the ones set up using "compete". Then upload that to my site.
  • The AIs on my site (which you'll see if you start the game and connect to the main server) are not smart ones. They're dummy AIs used to test the game... if you can beat them, you're already one large step into the right direction!
Comments and Criticism welcome!
Last edited by Germanunkol on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 25 times in total.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: trAInsported: Alpha testers needed

Post by Nixola »

When you check if '+' or '-' is pressed, could you check the unicode value? Otherwise, on different keyboard layouts people have to press where that key is in the English keyboard layout, and LÖVE doesn't want to read '+' on my Italian keyboard
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Darky
Citizen

Post by Darky »

people have to press where that key is in the English keyboard layout
I agree.

So, I'm on osx (10.6.8) and it works like a charm, exept for two things :
- when I load the game with the "--host trainsportedgame.no-ip.org" part, tutorials are buggy (the map is not loaded correctly)
- Why can't we change the screen resolution ? it's too wide for my laptop-screen !

I'll try the "Compete" mode later !

Nice job anyway !
http://darky-ben.fr/Xut my webcomic (french)
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Nixola wrote:When you check if '+' or '-' is pressed, could you check the unicode value? Otherwise, on different keyboard layouts people have to press where that key is in the English keyboard layout, and LÖVE doesn't want to read '+' on my Italian keyboard
Will fix this. Sorry.
There's no other keys it affects though, right?
Darky wrote: - Why can't we change the screen resolution ? it's too wide for my laptop-screen !
There will be a screen-resolution switch soon. I just haven't gotten around to it.
A quick workaround: Unzip the .love file, edit the conf.lua file (the setting is way down the bottom) and then rezip the stuff and rename it to trAInsported.love.
Darky wrote: - when I load the game with the "--host trainsportedgame.no-ip.org" part, tutorials are buggy (the map is not loaded correctly)
Hm, I thought I had fixed this. Can you go a little into detail? What went wrong?
Is it rendering the wrong map? This is all threadded... that's why it got pretty complicated.
Last edited by Germanunkol on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Get this error when starting the first tutorial. :/
Zeo3Okj.png
Zeo3Okj.png (13.38 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Very promising images btw.
edit:
oh and I use love 0.8.0 JIT
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

What OS do you have?

Please try again and start the game with:

Code: Select all

love trAInsported.love
(Without the --host option)

Does that work?

It might just be the attempt to render the server's live match and the tutorial map at the same time which causes it to fail.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Germanunkol.de
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Germanunkol wrote:
Nixola wrote:When you check if '+' or '-' is pressed, could you check the unicode value? Otherwise, on different keyboard layouts people have to press where that key is in the English keyboard layout, and LÖVE doesn't want to read '+' on my Italian keyboard
Will fix this. Sorry.
There's no other keys it affects though, right?
Every symbol is affected, I don't know about , and . because they're in the same position
Germanunkol wrote:
Nixola wrote: - Why can't we change the screen resolution ? it's too wide for my laptop-screen !
That wasn't me! :o
(Even though I wanted to write it too, but I forgot it)

By the way good job, it's a good game, I didn't find any bug yet and (last but not least - last but first? Last but most? I'm open to suggestions) it teaches Lua!
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Oh sorry, I deleted the wrong part of the quote tag... It's fixed now!

I just noticed I get no connection to the server right now.
The website is up, but the ssh and game's ports are blocked for some reason. I think this is my router (It was the last time it happened), but I'm halfway accross Europe from it right now. I hope it'll work again in a while...

The + and - have been changed to unicode. Now I'm going to bed... :P

P.S. Did anyone try it on windows? Does the tutorialAI2.lua file get created correctly on windows?
Germanunkol.de
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Nixola wrote:
By the way good job, it's a good game, I didn't find any bug yet...
I agree with the "good game" but I got a couple of errors while trying out.
I managed to get ingame but when I'm pressing "reload" I get this error :
SC5oJzx.png
SC5oJzx.png (11.62 KiB) Viewed 906 times
I'm on Windows 7.

edit: no tutorialAI2.lua inside the save directory of trAInsported.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

The .lua file should be in the AI folder near the .love, not in the save folder... About the bug I only think that Germanunkol should check if the string exist, but it looks like an unexpected and unusual bug
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics