Chilean Challenge - Simple Trivia Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Chocopandini
Prole

Chilean Challenge - Simple Trivia Game

Post by Chocopandini »

Hi everyone, i'm a Language student from Chile (and my english is really bad, sorry for that).

Well, we made a little videogame for the college. It's in spanish for educative purpose and the idea is that any teacher (without being a PRO in programming) can modify the questions of the game easily from the file "preguntas.lua" (preguntas = questions).

The game is about the chilean particular spanish and the idea is simple to understand. In the next version we have to add a LOT of basic things (music, sound, animations, etc.), but now is functional at least.

Every comment about the game could help us to improve it.

Thanks to all, this forum is really awesome.

P.D: We are language students, so our maths are pretty simple XD.
Attachments
Chilean Challenge 1.0.love
(821.33 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
theZohnn
Prole

Re: Chilean Challenge - Simple Trivia Game

Post by theZohnn »

:shock: thats cool. i like how it goes fullscreen. if i knew spanish, i might actually get past the first question.

and your english is really good compared to some people...
+1 internet to anyone that helps me! i am a lost little puppy!
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Oh, this is really well made. I like the visual theme and everything solidly works as you would expect it to. Although it might confuse some less computer-savvy users that you have to press Escape to go back/exit. My Spanish is in the dumps though - 1 / 5 puntaje! What happens after you complete the first five questions? Do you get to go on or start a new game?

What do the topics 1-3 mean? ("tema de la pregunta").

I like the motivation - helping teachers helping students - and the solution you came up with. What do you plan on doing next? Perhaps one should be able to select or advance to harder questions?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Post by Felipe Budinich »

osuf oboys wrote:My Spanish is in the dumps though - 1 / 5 puntaje!
Don't worry if you can't score a single point...
I'm Chilean and i failed a few questions, they are not in "proper" Spanish, because it's a quiz about Chilean Slang.

I had trouble to play it, because "love.graphics.toggleFullscreen()" does not properly support weird monitors like mine (it does not check if the display mode is supported), so i had to go and comment that line. Keep it in mind in case you plan to distribute it (Add some music, some Che Copete pictures and it will be all the rage on Chilean forums :awesome: )
Chocopandini
Prole

Post by Chocopandini »

osuf oboys wrote:Oh, this is really well made. I like the visual theme and everything solidly works as you would expect it to. Although it might confuse some less computer-savvy users that you have to press Escape to go back/exit. My Spanish is in the dumps though - 1 / 5 puntaje! What happens after you complete the first five questions? Do you get to go on or start a new game?

What do the topics 1-3 mean? ("tema de la pregunta").

I like the motivation - helping teachers helping students - and the solution you came up with. What do you plan on doing next? Perhaps one should be able to select or advance to harder questions?
Many Thanks for your opinion. Well, "tema de la pregunta" is the category of the question. In this game, the questions go in 3 categories (Indigenism, semasiological or foreignness word). It's made in this way to clarify the answers (sometimes, more than an answer is a chilenism, but only one match the category).

When you finish the round (5 questions) you obtain a certain ranking according to your final score (cero too). The texts are about how good or bad you are with the chilean spanish. Then, you can go with a new game.

In the future, we plan to add music, sounds, ranking, some animations and a bonus system. But for now, we have a lot of work for college (really a LOT), so we cannot do it right now. The idea of the Harder Mode is excelent, we'll try it in the next version too.
Felipe Budinich wrote:Don't worry if you can't score a single point...
I'm Chilean and i failed a few questions, they are not in "proper" Spanish, because it's a quiz about Chilean Slang.

I had trouble to play it, because "love.graphics.toggleFullscreen()" does not properly support weird monitors like mine (it does not check if the display mode is supported), so i had to go and comment that line. Keep it in mind in case you plan to distribute it (Add some music, some Che Copete pictures and it will be all the rage on Chilean forums :awesome: )
We'll have that in mind, my monitor is classic, so i've never thougth about this kind of trouble.

Che Copete XD!!!! hahahahahaha, the maximum score is related to Chuck Norris, but we will think about it, it could be really really funny for the students too. Che Copete might be some kind of perfect-godly score, hahahaha.

Our first and main objective with the game is to make a trivia that anyone can modify. We not made a lot of effort with the questions (actually, there are only 30 XD).
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Post by Felipe Budinich »

Our first and main objective with the game is to make a trivia that anyone can modify. We not made a lot of effort with the questions (actually, there are only 30 XD).
Your code inner structure is so simple, that i've learned a lot just by looking at it, usually when you look at someone else's code (when you are as inexperienced as I am) it is utterly confusing, I think that this is a really good example to show someone, after learning how to display stuff on the screen and some basic event handling, this clarifies a lot on "What should i do next?".