Android LÖVE port

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Overv
Prole

Android LÖVE port

Post by Overv »

Hi,

I've read a couple of threads in this forum and it's clear that the problem of running LÖVE on Android or iOS is all of the libraries that need to be ported. I think the best way to go about an Android version is simply rewriting it from scratch to be optimised for Android. All of the internal code would be new, but it would execute .love files the exact same way as the official PC version. Changes in the PC version could be ported to the Android code.

Now, I'm willing to take on this project. Is there any interest in it or do you think it's a bad idea? I'd like to hear your thoughts before diving into this adventure.
crow
Party member

Re: Android LÖVE port

Post by crow »

Overv wrote:Hi,

I've read a couple of threads in this forum and it's clear that the problem of running LÖVE on Android or iOS is all of the libraries that need to be ported. I think the best way to go about an Android version is simply rewriting it from scratch to be optimised for Android. All of the internal code would be new, but it would execute .love files the exact same way as the official PC version. Changes in the PC version could be ported to the Android code.

Now, I'm willing to take on this project. Is there any interest in it or do you think it's a bad idea? I'd like to hear your thoughts before diving into this adventure.
Well I would fkin love you for along time if you did this I have installed a lua player for android and it was no good, what I would love to see if been able to
use a version on a none rooted device as my phone/cell is contact so its mine but if it brakes i want them to fix it and they wont if its rooted.

I really would be intrested.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Oh hey there, Overv.

Well, if you really want to rewrite LÖVE, go ahead. But you should at least check out nLÖVE before you take on such a big project, in my opinion.

Good luck either way!

(Also a request; if you could make LÖVE run on Android devices as old as 1.5, that would be really sweet)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Since, as I've stated somewhere else, I've been working on making love more modular, I'd actually advice against it, it's probably easier, and of more benefit to love, if you just add modules as needed.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

I really would love this on android I still opt for love for android
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I'm also interested on an Android port. Stress on port.

I'm not interested on something done anew. I'm sorry, but I think that is doomed to failure. A much wiser approach would be adapting the libraries that exist.
When I write def I mean function.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I'd be much more interested in an iOS port, but if you want to go ahead with Android then do so, it'll only broaden Love's reach.

And I do agree with the others on not rewriting, but adapting; it'll make compatibility easier.
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

as someone with both an Apple Developer License and an Android Developer Account, I'd be happy to have either, in fact to echo what crow said, I'd fking love you long time!
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

schme16 wrote:as someone with both an Apple Developer License and an Android Developer Account, I'd be happy to have either, in fact to echo what crow said, I'd fking love you long time!
I'd jailbreak my iPod touch AND my iPad just to be able to play around with Löve. As well as my Android phone. (But I won't root my phone. For one thing, the instructions are impossible on my model so that's out.)
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

What phone do you have? I've found that the app, Universal Androot has worked on all of mine, although currently I have the HTC HD2 (running Windows Phone 7 & Android, as a dual boot)

My phone also runs Ubuntu, but I've never gotten around to testing love on it... Actually, I might do that now!
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info