COVERE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
vpdp_pc
Prole

COVERE

Post by vpdp_pc »

First, sorry for my English

A simple shooter game:
your have to protect the CORE with COVER
get score by shoot enemy

Controls:
1, 2, 3, ... : select cover, gun, collector, ...
mouse: aim the cover and the gun, control the collector to collect item
space: toggle slow-motion (or bullet-time) (this is very important)
b: drop bomb (if collected)
esc: to main menu

Current status: early state of game (items, enemies, levels, score, ...), but almost done everything with the core (engine, ...)

You can:
read the code (not too long) to understand some kind of enemy, item and the way they are spawned
unzip the .love and open covere\scenes\play.lua, scroll to function play:start -> self.spawner:wave{ ... } and edit this to make a harder level
if you understand the machine, you can easily make new item, new enemy, new defend tool, ....

If your score is 350-451 (with the origin version), tell me :cool:

All comment, question, suggestion, code, feedback are welcomed :awesome:
One more thing: can you compare this game (current state) with Psyad(http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3464) :ehem:
Attachments
COVERE.love
Fixed and added some request (v0.2)
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 620 times
COVERE.love
The game (v0.1)
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 566 times
Last edited by vpdp_pc on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: COVERE

Post by nevon »

I got 322, and then nothing happened. Fun little game. Though I completely forgot to use the slow motion thing.

It's also kind of hard to know what the different power-ups do. Maybe you should add a text effect that pops up when you collect one, so that it's easier to remember until the next time you see the symbol. The bomb button also needs to move. Maybe right click, instead of b?
vpdp_pc
Prole

Post by vpdp_pc »

322 is not-good ;) try to use slow-motion to get 350 - the nearly-perfect score :awesome:

About your suggestion:
- Text effect: thanks, I will do it
- Change bomb: I don't think so, the bomb don't let you get score, just help you out of mess. So make it hard to reach is my opinion :cool:
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I got 478. (Unmodified.)

My reaction:
  • Oh shit, there were bombs?! :ultrashocked: (Haven't used them, just saw them mentioned here.)
  • Powerup identification: What? Just grab em all and see the result!
  • Did you say 451 was the max? What?
  • Awesome! :awesome:
So yes, a bit of confusion, but I liked the game. Desperately needs an ending screen.
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

Hey, nice game. I liked the strategy between the three modes, trying to time it well to collect the powerups and guard yourself.

I was a little confused about how the game is supposed to work. When the first giant wave of enemies appeared I though "Wow! This is too hard" but then they got me and I didn't die. So I wasn't sure what really the point was, I guess your health affects your score? If it were me I'd try to make it more obvious what's happening when the red guys get right to the middle.

The graphics were nice too, the simplicity with the glow works I think. I was a bit undecided about the sound effects, it was cool not to have generic 8-bit bleeps and wooshes but the clown horn was a bit odd :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

You shrink when you get hit.
vpdp_pc
Prole

Post by vpdp_pc »

bartbes wrote:I got 478. (Unmodified.)

My reaction:
  • Oh shit, there were bombs?! :ultrashocked: (Haven't used them, just saw them mentioned here.)
  • Powerup identification: What? Just grab em all and see the result!
  • Did you say 451 was the max? What?
  • Awesome! :awesome:
So yes, a bit of confusion, but I liked the game. Desperately needs an ending screen.
- don't use bomb is good way to make high score :ultraglee:
- identification: in development :P
- sorry, 501 is the perfect-score (I forgot x2 the enemy that shoot bullet). My high score is 450 :cry:

As I said, the game has not finished yet. So if you guy need more complex and harder level, i will try to make it insane :x . But you can help me, see "You can" in my first post

The current level just the tutorial to help you understand story, enemies, items, and the chain reaction

So can someone answer me: what is the yellow circle with a plus? (I forgot to tell at first post, but I thing someone know :crazy: )
And anyone here used the slow-mo?

--- SECOND POST BEGINS HERE ---
adam a wrote: Hey, nice game. I liked the strategy between the three modes, trying to time it well to collect the powerups and guard yourself.

I was a little confused about how the game is supposed to work. When the first giant wave of enemies appeared I though "Wow! This is too hard" but then they got me and I didn't die. So I wasn't sure what really the point was, I guess your health affects your score? If it were me I'd try to make it more obvious what's happening when the red guys get right to the middle.

The graphics were nice too, the simplicity with the glow works I think. I was a bit undecided about the sound effects, it was cool not to have generic 8-bit bleeps and wooshes but the clown horn was a bit odd :)

As i said, the game has not finished yet (sorry :3 ). But in future, if the core (you) shrink to zero, you lost a life. There will be 3, 4 life (can be a item that you can collect). The game over when you lost your last life. The result of this game is the high score, so you can compare to others :vamp:

I created almost the graphics in game myself :ultrahappy: . But the sound is from freesound.org and (http://soundbible.com/tags-game.html), so I can do nothing :| . The "clown horn" exactly is "bike horn" :crazy: , I found it and though it is funny :megagrin:
Last edited by bartbes on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sigh, no double posting please..
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

Don't be sorry for it being unfinished :) It's my fault for not reading your first post properly. Keep up the good work anyhow, I look forward to the finished version.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I got 400. It was fun, but I had no idea what was going on (still don't). The fact that I couldn't die didn't help. The way to switch was complicated and seemed to change or something. I had the idea I should have been able to walk around, but I couldn't find any controls for that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

This game has made me appreciate how much I need to beg able to move in video games.
When I write def I mean function.