Some notes on compiling on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
mmarshall
Prole

Some notes on compiling on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Post by mmarshall »

Just FYI:

I had to add #include <string.h> to physfs/File.cpp. Otherwise it complained about strlen not being defined. (This seems to be something with 64 bit linux... I've had to add a number of #include <string.h>'s to some of my own code to compile on 64 bit.)

The configure script didn't check for a number of dependencies. I had to go back and forth between make and apt-get install quite a few times.

Here are the packages that I remember being required that configure didn't check for:

* boost
* SDL_mixer.h
* physfs
* libdevil

(I normally have stuff like this installed, but I just switched to 64 bit on this system and haven't compiled much yet.)

MWM
rude
Administrator

Re: Some notes on compiling on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Post by rude »

Thanks. All this should be fixed in SVN already. Tido made sure to check all dependencies this time (boost and SDL_mixer not needed in next version). Let us know if you notice something missing.

Code: Select all

AC_SEARCH_LIBS([sqrt], [m], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without C math library]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([SDL_Init], [SDL], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without SDL]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([Sound_Init], [SDL_sound], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without SDL Sound]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([glLoadIdentity], [GL], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without OpenGL]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([gluOrtho2D], [GLU], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without OpenGL Utility Library]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([alSourcePlay], [openal], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without OpenAL]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(
	[lua_pcall],
	[lua lua5.1],
	if test "$ac_cv_search_lua_pcall" = "-llua5.1"; then
		AC_SUBST([INCLUDE_LUA], [-I/usr/include/lua5.1])
	fi,
	AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without Lua])
)
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([ilInit], [IL], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without DevIL]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([mng_initialize], [mng], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([DevIL needs MNG]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([TIFFOpen], [tiff], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([DevIL needs TIFF]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([FT_Load_Glyph], [freetype], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without FreeType]))
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([PHYSFS_init], [physfs], [], AC_MSG_ERROR([Can't LÖVE without PhysicsFS]))
Now that VirtualBox supports 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts, I can probably start providing a .deb too. ^^
osuf oboys
Party member

Re: Some notes on compiling on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit

Post by osuf oboys »

I compiled LÖVE on Fedora Core 9, 64bit. It was overall a simple process but a list with the necessary libraries would still be nice, e.g. in a file called INSTALL. My steps:
* Added include-statement to ./src/physfs/File.cpp.
* Installed SDL_Mixer, missing development packages of SDL, and DevIL.
* Installed PhysFS and copied libphysfs.so (also libphysfs-1.0.so.1) to physfs.so.1 (in /usr/lib64 for 64bit-arch.)
* Recompiled allegro with --disable-asm (only necessary for 64bit-arch).

However, my frame rate appears to be fixed at 6 FPS in games that have more than a few bodies, e.g. wrath, militia defense, and my own tests. The tutorial games all work well, including the collision detection tutorial. I have a geforce 7300 GS, the official nvidia drivers, mesa, and no desktop effects activated. Running vista on the same computer, I experience no lag unless there's 200-300 shapes.

How can I improve my FPS?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.