To the dev team for Löve: BRAVO

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
petitsourice
Prole

To the dev team for Löve: BRAVO

Post by petitsourice »

One word: wow.

You guys have captured what everyone has been screaming for in a 2d engine. I am simply amazed and I've only been looking at the product documentation for about 30 minutes.

Just... wow....

The thing about Löve that cracks me up is my first game ever written was titled, "Planet Love". It was 2+ planets running around the screen chasing each other. Some had negative mass and would repel other planets, etc. The game objective was never defined but I did end up with a nice framework.

Now... on to write Planet Love again, but this time in Lua instead of basica.
efexor
Prole

Re: To the dev team for Löve: BRAVO

Post by efexor »

I would have to agree with you here, It is very impressive. :o
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

i agree

coming from the psp scene, where a "lua game engine" = gimped psp sdk lua binding (but no one dares to say it) to love is a major improvement

no longer do i have to spend a ton of time optimizing my animation libs, hand making physics, and spend months figuring out crap that would be (and personally is) easier to do in C, even tho i am at a very "durh" level at C, just to get 90% of my ram sucked down, piss poor performance, flaky caretakers who are totally rewriting the api to a new standard of retarded, all the while totally borking backwards compatibility

love has not hit that point yet, there has been talks of api improvement, ... and im for that, theres always room for improvement, but i also see that there's a way to improve BOTH at the same time, so people that have invested time and lots of effort to learn a system dont feel (quite frankly) fucked for their effort

sofar i dont totally agree with love's structure, but there plenty of options around it, that i personally use as many times as i can, but its much, much better than ive seen in a 2d lua framework to date

and if i knew enough about C this would already be ported to the psp, the psp really needs less bullcrap eleitisim (what?!? you dont understand how to do elipitical collisions on a angled plane in pure code, you fkin SUCK quit) and a easy system to pick up

i have litterly done more with love in my short time here than i ever have in nearly 3 years of psp lua (varients lp, lphm, and pge)

im so sick of writing lua games on the psp, where i spend 95% of my dev time writing frame works for animations, physics, collisions, and vectors, by the time i get close to done, i just dont give a rats ass any more, love takes care of that in simple functions that are mostly satisfactory, so i can focus on my original goal ... a fun game, or maybe even a useful program
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Thanks, everyone. ^_^
osgeld wrote:so people that have invested time and lots of effort to learn a system dont feel (quite frankly) fucked for their effort
It can't be helped. When making LÖVE, someone usually ends up feeling fucked.

(Alternative: We're making LÖVE here. If you're not feeling fucked, then we're not doing our job.)

You're welcome. :D
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

rude wrote:Thanks, everyone. ^_^
osgeld wrote:so people that have invested time and lots of effort to learn a system dont feel (quite frankly) fucked for their effort
It can't be helped. When making LÖVE, someone usually ends up feeling fucked.

(Alternative: We're making LÖVE here. If you're not feeling fucked, then we're not doing our job.)

You're welcome. :D
:vamp: :joker: :monocle:
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)