Project GRIME

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
S-Rave
Prole

Project GRIME

Post by S-Rave »

Heya.

Got a project I started on this evening. It's called GRIME. It's an adventure game. Or more of a remake of the first part of an older adventure game. In 2D.
All I got so far is a level structure, means to change rooms, inventory, items, a movable character, and a scrolling CAMERA (Thank you Osuf).

Have a guess at which game using this "concept" art (made in 5 minutes..):

I'm only making the first 3 puzzles.

More info when I got more. 8-)
srejv
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Project GRIME

Post by qubodup »

:ultraglee: :ultraglee: :ultraglee: :ultraglee: *claps hands* yay!!!

A assume you're aware of this?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
hdon
Prole

Post by hdon »

S-Rave wrote:Have a guess at which game using this "concept" art (made in 5 minutes..):

FRIGGIN' AWESOME!
S-Rave
Prole

Post by S-Rave »

qubodup wrote::ultraglee: :ultraglee: :ultraglee: :ultraglee: *claps hands* yay!!!

A assume you're aware of this?
Yes, I'm very aware of that. ;) Part of my inspiration. :]
hdon wrote:FRIGGIN' AWESOME!
Yes!

More graphics for your viewing pleasure! (Nothing final, just it's just so I have something to work with. Been doing tons of research (playing the game) this weekend).

Mannys office mockup.

Manny walkcycle (yes he looks very stiff...)

A bigger version

I was gonna use this one, but he was too big for the mockup so... he's not gonna be used. :(

Oh yeah, Glottis. Just a placeholder (just a quickie, tried to make it good but I'm gonna have a better go at it once I'm working on the garage scenery).

Don copal (even though he isn't in the first 3 puzzles...), without his mustache!

Enjoy!

Note that this is the first time I've made a gif animation, done any "serious" pixel art. So this is probably gonna look like shit in the beginning. Gonna fix the hallway outside Mannys office, fix a .love file so you all can enjoy this in action. Also, another Grim Fandango 2D game is coming up (announced the same day as this, coincidence? http://grim2d.com - I was thinking about joining that and do this in LÖVE at the same time since I'm not a big fan of AGS and this project was really about me learning how to make an adventure/puzzle game).
srejv
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Two more things, in case you need some reference and are getting tired of starting the game to get them: A screenshot and video let's play of Grim!
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
S-Rave
Prole

Post by S-Rave »

qubodup wrote:Two more things, in case you need some reference and are getting tired of starting the game to get them: A screenshot and video let's play of Grim!
Thank you! I've been playing through the game and taking screenshots every 2 seconds (and since I don't know any good screencapturing app I've done it with mspaint... and Grim doesn't run in a window on my computer. -_-). This is PERFECT! :ultrahappy:
srejv
S-Rave
Prole

Post by S-Rave »

So I've made a small playable version.

Note that the graphics aren't done yet and I havn't added any dialogue. Or any other characters than Manny. I'm having some trouble with making him look good (I think I'll change back to the old head, it was cuter).

Controls

Move with the arrowkeys.
Look at stuff with the "L" key.
Go through doors with "ENTER/RETURN".
Run with the "SHIFT" key.

Enjoy.
Attachments
GRIME.love
(30.96 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
srejv
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

Interesting.
Small bug:
sometimes the character animation stops (or more like does not start) if you swap direction fast enough. Same bug also allows you to walk backwards.
Just press the opposing direction while holding the other.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Nice...
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Very nice.

I thought I found two bugs (other than the "moonwalk" bug), but after having a closer look at both, I discovered it was just me being stupid.
Help us help you: attach a .love.