Building LOVE2D in general

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rhempel
Prole

Building LOVE2D in general

Post by rhempel »

I'm a new love2d user, but have got lots of Lua experience. I try to build
my system using my own build frameworks, to avoid having lots of duplicate
library source kicking around.

I agree in principle that it's much easier to pull down all of the source
for love2d and required libraries than to have to gather sources for
luasocket, freetype2 etc.

I guess my question is this:

When we start having to build love2d as an application within a framework
that may already have luasocket, luafilesystem, freetype, libgl, etc, are there
better ways to organize the source code?

What are the best practices when building, linking, and distributing love2d
as a standalone app?

Or should we just use the source as is and have possibly inconsistent
and conflicting source with other Lua or system apps and libs?

Ralph

PS. Sorry if this is unclear. I'm just getting my head around building very large
libraries and self-contained distros around Lua...
appleide
Party member

Re: Building LOVE2D in general

Post by appleide »

What OS do you use?
rhempel
Prole

Post by rhempel »

Good question. Most of my development is under windows, but I have existing Lua and extension build frameworks that will build for Cygwin and MinGW targets. The same build framework could just as easily be adapted to Linux, BSD, and OSX.

I guess the thing that bugs me about the Love2D build from source is that I already have another project that builds freetype2 from source. Why duplicate the build? How do we streamline the build process without driving developers crazy in the quest for source to build from?

Ralph
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

rhempel wrote:I'm a new love2d user, but have got lots of Lua experience. I try to build
my system using my own build frameworks, to avoid having lots of duplicate
library source kicking around.
I hope you're referring to compiled lua libraries rather pure lua libraries. For frameworks, we want as much reuse as possible to improve sharing and compatibility and reduce code duplication.
I agree in principle that it's much easier to pull down all of the source
for love2d and required libraries than to have to gather sources for
luasocket, freetype2 etc.
As long as the libraries are part of the LÖVE application, it shouldn't be a problem. They are then guaranteed to have been included. Why would you want to go through all the trouble of replicating what luasocket already does?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
rhempel
Prole

Post by rhempel »

I hope you're referring to compiled lua libraries rather pure lua libraries. For frameworks, we want as much reuse as possible to improve sharing and compatibility and reduce code duplication.
No, I'm talking about the glue libraries around Lua but within Love2D, things like freetype2 etc.

Obviously I'm doing a poor job of explaining myself, so I should probably go back to building things from source and then try to clearly describe what _is_ the problem, instead of what might be the problem :-)

Ralph
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

rhempel wrote:
No, I'm talking about the glue libraries around Lua but within Love2D, things like freetype2 etc.

Obviously I'm doing a poor job of explaining myself, so I should probably go back to building things from source and then try to clearly describe what _is_ the problem, instead of what might be the problem :-)

Ralph
Sorry, feel free to clarify if you wish. Identifying concrete problems certainly make for convincing arguments.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.