Ultimate Pokedex 1.0 Beta

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
27thCOlt
Prole

Ultimate Pokedex 1.0 Beta

Post by 27thCOlt »

I have set out to make a pokedex. Like from pokemon. Including all 721 pokemon. This may be an ambitious task, but I will try to go by it little by little. Here is the download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/908bb ... +Beta.love

Also a GitHub repo:

https://github.com/27thColt/Ultimate-Pokedex

Right now, my goal is to include the original 151. I have 9 test subjects right now (I will create data for the rest when basics are done).

Pictures

A few Questions:

Should I use Love Frames Library for my buttons? I already have a main menu but should I make buttons?

Another question, how should I go about the pokedex? I want it to have an area to show the info of the pokemon. There is also an area with a list of all the pokemon as well as a search bar.

If you look at the source code, I have a few for loops for storing information. Should I use that for the search bar and the list of pokemon?

P.S. If you see coordinates follow your mouse, it is because I left the game in debug mode. You can turn it off if you edit the source code.
27thCOlt
Prole

Re: Ultimate Pokedex 1.0 Beta

Post by 27thCOlt »

Anybody there?
Helvecta
Party member

Post by Helvecta »

Should I use Love Frames Library for my buttons? I already have a main menu but should I make buttons?
I think that is a matter of personal preference; if you choose to use a library, you get the convenience, but you don't get the knowledge learning programmers need to understand in order to best utilize libraries. If this is your first rodeo, I say try and make the buttons yourself, or maybe look at the library's source to understand how it was done and try to emulate it. But if making the GUI elements is more of a hassle than a learning experience, go with the library.
Another question, how should I go about the pokedex? I want it to have an area to show the info of the pokemon. There is also an area with a list of all the pokemon as well as a search bar.
I could see buttons at the bottom for the search feature and other information tabs (the about tab, the pokemon list tab, search tab, etc), but, I mean, that's also personal preference :rofl:
If you look at the source code, I have a few for loops for storing information. Should I use that for the search bar and the list of pokemon?
I whipped up a little search application for you to check out if you want (below), mostly because there's not much I can do to judge it right now. It looks like it might work, but without any entries, or an example of it in action, or a breakdown of how you expect it to work, it's too early to tell if the implementation is correct or efficient and whatnot.
poopMon Search.love
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Hope I helped! And welcome to the forums!
"Bump." -CMFIend420
27thCOlt
Prole

Post by 27thCOlt »

Helvecta wrote:
I think that is a matter of personal preference; if you choose to use a library, you get the convenience, but you don't get the knowledge learning programmers need to understand in order to best utilize libraries. If this is your first rodeo, I say try and make the buttons yourself, or maybe look at the library's source to understand how it was done and try to emulate it. But if making the GUI elements is more of a hassle than a learning experience, go with the library.
I could see buttons at the bottom for the search feature and other information tabs (the about tab, the pokemon list tab, search tab, etc), but, I mean, that's also personal preference :rofl:
I whipped up a little search application for you to check out if you want (below), mostly because there's not much I can do to judge it right now. It looks like it might work, but without any entries, or an example of it in action, or a breakdown of how you expect it to work, it's too early to tell if the implementation is correct or efficient and whatnot.
poopMon Search.love

Hope I helped! And welcome to the forums!

Awesome!! Thank you for the help! :D