Allow me to introduce myself!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
CoffeeCoder
Prole

Allow me to introduce myself!

Post by CoffeeCoder »

Why hello there good people of Love!

I am CoffeeCoder. As my name implies, I enjoy drinking hot coffee while coding away, even though it can make me quite hyper!

I am brand-new to LOVE, and Lua as well. However, I have found it to be ridiculously easy to learn, and I can't wait to really start getting my hands dirty with it.

I have been programming for several years, since the age of ~14 or so (currently I am 23 so that's almost 9 years!). I started out with DarkBASIC, moved quickly to XNA/C#, then jumped over to Unity and now back to pure programming with LOVE.

So, anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself! I can't wait to become a member of this fine community! :)
- CoffeeCoder
Visit my site to learn more about me! :megagrin:
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Allow me to introduce myself!

Post by Ranguna259 »

Welcome aboard CoffeeCoder :)
Our community here is awesome but be warned, people here can sometimes be too friendly.

Feel free to post any doubts on the Support and Development subsection of the forum and post your best works on Projects and Demos.

Now, get coding ;)
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Welcome aboard! Just out of curiosity, have you finished any games so far?
CoffeeCoder
Prole

Post by CoffeeCoder »

Tesselode wrote:Welcome aboard! Just out of curiosity, have you finished any games so far?
When I was programming with DarkBASIC ages ago, yes I did complete one but it no longer exists. It was only three levels, but I did it in one month and that was great fun! However, I literally hard-coded the levels, because I didn't know how to make level editors back then. Now I do :P

And hey, while I'm here, can anyone recommend any good books on learning Lua? I'm finding a bunch of online stuff but it all seems to be fairly outdated (from about 2003) and the YouTube videos are all super low quality. Plus I tend to learn better from actually reading books.

EDiT: I've found a good resource that lets you know the barebones of Lua so that has helped immensely! Also this has helped too. I would still prefer a book on the language though so I can go more in-depth with it! :)

Thank you all!
- CoffeeCoder
Visit my site to learn more about me! :megagrin:
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Welcome fellow coder!

Programming in Lua is the canonical one, and in my opinion an excellent book.
I recommend you get the third edition, even though it's about 5.2 and LuaJIT uses 5.1 with some 5.2 features.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

undef wrote:Welcome fellow coder!

Programming in Lua is the canonical one, and in my opinion an excellent book.
I recommend you get the third edition, even though it's about 5.2 and LuaJIT uses 5.1 with some 5.2 features.
I'd just mention there is a free online version. It is mostly meant for Lua 5.1, but it is absolutely relevant, since LÖVE uses Lua 5.1.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The free online version of PiL is actually written for Lua 5.0, which has some differences compared to 5.1 – although the 5.0 PiL is still largely relevant.
arampl
Party member

Post by arampl »

For in-depth: "Lua programming gems" (2008) book.
"Beginning Lua programming" (2007) book also good and not only for beginners.

Both refers Lua 5.0 and 5.1. But though they're 7-8 years old, information in this books still valuable in many cases.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

slime wrote:The free online version of PiL is actually written for Lua 5.0, which has some differences compared to 5.1 – although the 5.0 PiL is still largely relevant.
Oh, my mistake. Good point, Slime.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

The differences between 5.0 and 5.1 are pretty minor. Either way, you don't need much of that to get started with Löve! Well, you seem to have figured out as much already. Have fun! I think you'll find Löve quite competent and easy to use.