"Sky goes to Net" is a story about tiny little bot that goes by the name Sky.
Sky is a small PC program. It doesn't remember neither who or what created it or how did it end up being where it is. It's destined to go on a journey throughout the digital world and find the answers to its (and those of other programs) questions.
It all begins with a havoc in the Sky's personal file storage. Very unpleased with what has happened Sky is forced to comply with the Unknown Voice's command to restore Sky's memories and learn that our protagonist is no less than an incarnation of catastrophe.
In the end Sky is bound to meet his "other" self and acknowledge or dismiss it.
Among other things it will (or will it?) save the world and find out how the Human World future defined his present.
Player takes control of Sky. The goal is to through a set of 2d locations and to find a bot named Net. Sky will be fighting against viruses of all kinds (worms, trojans, archived malware, zombie-processes etc).
Controls designed to be nearly as easy and as responsive as that in the classic Rockman/Megaman games.
Sky has an expandable inventory (starting with 20 slots) with a hotbar of 10.
There will be multiple upgrades to pimp your Sky.
Dozens ability-based AI patterns makes it easy to create your own bot by listing those abilities.
The game is has shops, power-ups and upgrades, hidden secrets, destructible stuff, false walls, etc.
- Minimum of 3 endings. (%% of recovered memory, some actions taken, world exploration %% will all have an impact on that)
- vast selection of temporary and permanent upgrades
- shops in every location (or in-between locations) to offer equipment, firepower, ammo, different gadgets, etc
- possibility of re-visiting levels to further explore those
- bonuses for missions completion
- several difficulty levels
- basic modding API
Chiptune/Electronic is what I have in mind
I really like these gyus' music: http://ericskiff.com/music, http://ozzed.net/music/, but still need help in this direction. Maybe someone will be able to help me with the music?
Won't mind to receive some help here too. Or else it will be all PD and CC0 and my crappy art. So, I *do* need some help!
Current state (what actually works ATM)
- Everything controls-related: movement, shooting or hitting, HP bar, inventories, buying stuff.
- About dozen AI patterns: walking, shooting, pit/void detection, jumping, projectile/enemy/objects detection. Can be stacked.
- Worm-like enemies AI.
- Intro and a test location.
- Everything listed in this topic as an update info.
My personal view on the development direction of the project
- To go in-between Rockman/Megaman, Cave Story, Metroid and Terraria (I really like it's inventories).
- To add shops and RPG-elements like raising stats ang finding some weapons.
- To create areas that can't be accessed until a certain condition met (weapon gained, boss beaten etc)
- To introduce powerups - the protagonist have mass and jump-power params which may change during the game for a period of time or permanently.
- To introduce enemy powerup system Doki-Doki Panic!/Disgaea -like
- To add multiplayer support (enet seems like a good lib to go with and I have some experience with it)
Please, refrain from building anything upon this prototype.
I don't really want to pin a license on my work at the moment, so I humbly ask to not go further than fair dealing. Thanks in advance!
The *.love file should run fine on Android, since virtual controls are there too.
On a PC/Mac/Linux the keys are: WASD for movement, Q-E for switching weapons, Return/Enter for jump and Backspace to Fire. F12 saves a screenshot ^_^
Various development-related files and prototypes are here! ^_^
For the full list of available demos only consider browsing a gallery here.