Dev on Rasberry Pi series

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
JYinc
Prole

Dev on Rasberry Pi series

Post by JYinc »

Hi everyone. Im a poor student. Kiki.. actually I don't have much allowance and i dont have a computer. So i wanna make games with love2d in a cheap pc such as Rasberry pi series.

Is it possible to run love2d and develop 2d games with love2d in rasberry pi with no lags?

Or, is there any cheap pc that I can use love2d in it? Thx a lot:)
raidho36
Party member

Re: Dev on Rasberry Pi series

Post by raidho36 »

You won't find adequate PCs nearly as cheaply as those boards cost, so go ahead and get one. They can run Linux, so for all intents and purposes you get a low-end desktop PC, and I'm pretty sure it's no big difficulty building LÖVE on it from source code (there's a specific Raspberry Pi port of LÖVE too).

The monitor and other periphery will comprise bulk of your costs though. But I'm pretty sure you can find something very cheap on local flea markets, just make sure it's adequately modern because RPi doesn't have VGA and PS/2 outputs, and buying converters would be extra costs.
HDPLocust
Citizen

Post by HDPLocust »

Love2d 0.9 exists for raspberry, and it's easy to install ('sudo apt-get love2d' or something like this).
But it needs to experimental opengl drivers ('sudo raspi-config' -> advanced -> toggle on graphics drivers).
You can use code editor like scite or sublime, it works fine on overclocked rpi.
Also you can build lua-gpio library for makeing homebrew-hardware gamepads, rendering graphics on nokia-3310 (or diode) screen etc.
Science and violence
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Alternatively, you can build love 0.10.2 from source and it won't require experimental opengl drivers.