Badger Battle - Turn Based Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
viking badger
Prole

Badger Battle - Turn Based Game

Post by viking badger »

Hey everyone,

This is my first real endeavor into creating something with LOVE, and I'm have a ton of fun with it. Badger Battle is a turn based game (pokemon-esque battles) where the player (a badger) has to fight his/her way through various creatures to reach some end goal (suggestions welcome). I wanted to focus more on battle and character building, and less on progression through some world. So there's no walking around looking for stuff to fight; you choose what you want to fight, fight it, and, provided you win, move on to the next enemy. You gain experience when you win, and get to build up your skill set as you level.

The basic functionality is laid out, but there's still a LOT of work to be done. Future plans include (in order of priority... maybe):
  • Add skill animations
  • Add effect animations
  • Add sound effects
  • Add more music
  • [DONE] Stylize the HUD
  • Add art everywhere there isn't already art -- read: everywhere except the battle screen, and some there too
  • Fix kluged positions of drawn objects -- I've been meaning to do this, but something more important always seems to need doing
  • Add options for resolution scaling -- this is already built in, but most of the draw positions are kluged right now (see previous TODO)
  • Stylize the GUI
  • Add more levels, enemies, and skills
  • [DONE] Allow the player to choose his/her skills as they level -- MMO-style skill tree?
  • Comment my code? Heh
I think that's most of the important stuff. Obviously there's a lot of little things that need doing as well: Some of the code is kind of messy, text isn't printed in perfect alignment, battle system isn't balanced quite right, etc. I'll get to those things too. As for artwork, I have a friend working on that (I'm really happy with the way the badger looks), but he stays pretty busy, so that will probably come in slow increments.

Anyways, I'm getting tired and starting to zone out, so I'll wrap this up. The games is attached. Let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my game :).

Screenshots as of 7/29/2012:

EDIT: updated .love file, added screenshots
Attachments
BadgerBattle.love
(7.14 MiB) Downloaded 518 times
Last edited by viking badger on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Tesselode
Party member

Re: Badger Battle - Turn Based Game

Post by Tesselode »

The functionality looks good, and there really isn't much to say until you actually start making the game part of it. However, it looks awfully just-like-Pokemon; maybe you should try to introduce some interesting twists on the formula.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Very cool.

Notes!
  1. The font is very hard to read. Consider giving it a backdrop of some sort!
  2. The attack turn lengths don't reset in between battles.
  3. Turn order never seems to change.
  4. The attack and defense is rather tedious. Need to figure a way out to speed it up. or allow the user to skip over it.
  5. Your sound effects are HUGE:
    seppi@seppi7:~/Downloads/love/bb/snd/effects$ ls -lah *
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.3M 2012-07-07 15:41 explosion_1.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.4M 2012-07-07 15:47 glass_1.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 7.9M 2012-07-07 15:49 glass_2.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 201K 2012-07-07 15:52 glass_3.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 404K 2012-07-07 15:56 glass_4.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.4M 2012-07-07 15:53 impact_1.wav
  6. I like the sparkles. And the badgers. And the battle fade thing.

Very nice. Keep at it!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Is anyone else getting a "not packaged correctly" error?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

For a start it's not bad at all. The particle effects over chars are a nice idea/touch. Even that I didn't finished a battle after victory (exited with error) first sketches of combat system are quite ok.
Tesselode wrote:The functionality looks good, and there really isn't much to say until you actually start making the game part of it. However, it looks awfully just-like-Pokemon; maybe you should try to introduce some interesting twists on the formula.
I think it's intended but actually is also looking as just like any other JRPG battle system. As concerning RPG's I don't also like Pokemon but (or JRPG's) but the style should be his choice.

You need to repackage love.
viking badger
Prole

Post by viking badger »

Tesselode wrote:The functionality looks good, and there really isn't much to say until you actually start making the game part of it. However, it looks awfully just-like-Pokemon; maybe you should try to introduce some interesting twists on the formula.
I know it kind of seems like a pokemon clone. I'm hoping that won't be as prevalent once I get some better skills (maybe some "special moves") and a more animated battle system (maybe move characters across the screen to attack). The thing is, it's a 2D turn based RPG, and that's a very distinctive type of gameplay. But, I'll do what I can :)
josefnpat wrote:Very cool.

Notes!
  1. The font is very hard to read. Consider giving it a backdrop of some sort!
  2. The attack turn lengths don't reset in between battles.
  3. Turn order never seems to change.
  4. The attack and defense is rather tedious. Need to figure a way out to speed it up. or allow the user to skip over it.
  5. Your sound effects are HUGE:
    seppi@seppi7:~/Downloads/love/bb/snd/effects$ ls -lah *
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.3M 2012-07-07 15:41 explosion_1.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.4M 2012-07-07 15:47 glass_1.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 7.9M 2012-07-07 15:49 glass_2.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 201K 2012-07-07 15:52 glass_3.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 404K 2012-07-07 15:56 glass_4.wav
    -rw-r--r-- 1 seppi seppi 1.4M 2012-07-07 15:53 impact_1.wav
  6. I like the sparkles. And the badgers. And the battle fade thing.

Very nice. Keep at it!
a. That's one of the things I plan on doing very soon!
b. Do you mean the cooldowns on skills? That's how I had designed it, but I was on the fence about it. If it turns out to be a sticking point for people, I have no problem removing it.
c. That's because turn order is currently purely dependent on the characters' speed attributes with no chance calculated in. If you battle something that's a couple levels above/below you, you'll see a difference. I'll add in some chance to make it seem less mechanical.
d. I agree. I'm going to add an option to change battle speed, but I'm hoping that better skill animations will help spice things up.
e. Woops! Those were left over from some experimenting I did a while back. I'll remove them. No wonder my love file was so big, lol.
f. Thanks!
bartbes wrote:Is anyone else getting a "not packaged correctly" error?
Weird :/ I'll repackage it.
coffee wrote:For a start it's not bad at all. The particle effects over chars are a nice idea/touch. Even that I didn't finished a battle after victory (exited with error) first sketches of combat system are quite ok.
Did you perhaps error after trying to use the Buff 1 skill? There was a bug there that should be fixed now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

viking badger wrote:Did you perhaps error after trying to use the Buff 1 skill? There was a bug there that should be fixed now.
Yes, I applied/tested buff in battle but the error was when leaving battle after win. A Tserial error.

Sorry to say but in new version "An Error occurred, notify Seven Badger" (so I am doing it now!).
viking badger
Prole

Post by viking badger »

coffee wrote: Yes, I applied/tested buff in battle but the error was when leaving battle after win. A Tserial error.

Sorry to say but in new version "An Error occurred, notify Seven Badger" (so I am doing it now!).
Hrmmm. Sounds like it's having a problem saving the game. Tserial is the library I'm using to covert the table of game data to string before it's written. I can't seem to recreate the error, but I'll play around with it and see what I can find. If you want to dig a little bit and try to find the issue yourself, be my guest :D. All game saving/loading is done in main.lua.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

viking badger wrote:
coffee wrote: Yes, I applied/tested buff in battle but the error was when leaving battle after win. A Tserial error.

Hrmmm. Sounds like it's having a problem saving the game. Tserial is the library I'm using to covert the table of game data to string before it's written. I can't seem to recreate the error, but I'll play around with it and see what I can find. If you want to dig a little bit and try to find the issue yourself, be my guest :D. All game saving/loading is done in main.lua.
Debugging Tserial stuff maybe could be complicated to me. But this could help perhaps. I'm using OSX. OS.execute bad commands? Let's just wait feedback from other people and see if could be only a Mac problem. But if I can/could help, I will.
viking badger
Prole

Post by viking badger »

coffee wrote:Debugging Tserial stuff maybe could be complicated to me. But this could help perhaps. I'm using OSX. OS.execute bad commands? Let's just wait feedback from other people and see if could be only a Mac problem. But if I can/could help, I will.
Ohhh, I bet you're right. I'll try a different serialization library and see if that fixes it.