Free Game Resources
links to free stuff (Creative Commons-licensed and the like) that can be used in game creation.
- Effective Placeholder Art
- FreeGameDev wiki: 2D, 3D and audio resources (it also has a search section)
- Open ClipArt
- Genetica Texture Packs High quality tiling textures.
- WayOfThePixel forum post with lots of links to utilities, pixel-art tutorials, resources, etc.
- http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.html isometric sprites
- Freegamedev's list of 2D and 3D software.
- Texturepacker (has free & paid versions)
- A Bitwise Method For Applying Tilemaps is an interesting technique related with tilemaps and graphics.
- Tile/Map-Based Game Techniques: Handling Terrain Transitions shows a more ellaborate technique for handling transitions between tiles.
- bfxr is an online sound generator.
- Independent Ljudbank (Swedish)
- Freesound (Requires registration for downloads, but otherwise bullshit-free)
- PDSounds (might be down, check out this in that case)
- Soundsnap (make sure you learn the license, it is not exactly CC)
- Media College's sound effects
- Newground's audio contains free songs and loops.
- http://www.artistx.org/site2/media/free-resources/free-music.html another listing-type page. Licenses vary.
- Jamendo's free music (Various)
- Binärpilot (Evil chiptunes. Big plus for umlaut. Licensed CC-NC-ND. Use with caution.)
- 8bitcollective (Chiptunes) (Licensed CC-NC-SA. Use with caution.)
- Fanatical Productions
- Creative Commons' own list of music, containing lots of links. Two examples below:
- Freegamedev's list of audio software
- sfxr (Sound effect generator)
- Musagi Is a music editor, windows only.
- pxtone] Comes with a composition program (ptCollage), instrument editor (ptVoice), and a sound editor (ptNoise). For an English user interface delete japanese.ico in the root directory :D
- Google Webfons 320 font families (+ variants) which can be freely used for whatever you want (license)
- OpenFontLibrary (this helps you browse it)
- acidfonts has both free and non-free fonts.
- 40+ Excellent Free Fonts A collection of selected fonts
Physics / Movement
- Sonic the Hedgehog's physics guide is a group of pages explaining in detail how physics are modelled in Sonic the Hedgehog.
- N tutorial A and N tutorial B explain how they did the physics in N: the way of the Ninja.
- Movement mechanics on "The Legend of Zelda"
- Iron Coding's Excellent tutorial for tile-based movement (It's flash, but very well explained. The ideas can be used for any language)
- Tiled map editor. A generic map editor.