nlove (LOVE2D) for Dingoo & Caanoo Handheld

A port replacing OpenGL and OpenAL with SDL. Now defunct.

Moderator: nLÖVE Team

kalle2990
Party member

Re: nlove (LÖVE 0.7.0) beta for Caanoo Handheld

Post by kalle2990 »

Yes, OpenGL ES 1.

I'm using a port of SDL here which I find perfect for this case and it's implementing some of the OpenGL ES functions.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Kalle, out of curiosity, which Android device are you targeting? 2.2? 800 x 480? No physical keyboard? Galaxy S?
Yes, I just described my phone in hopes he agrees.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

TechnoCat wrote:Kalle, out of curiosity, which Android device are you targeting? 2.2? 800 x 480? No physical keyboard? Galaxy S?
I'm targeting them all (most probably), as Android supports that. The ndk can build for 2 proccessors too, which the second is the one found at Nexus one. That compiled code will run faster on devices with that proccessor. ^^
I might build a package using OpenGL ES 2 for the devices that supports it. However, I'm using a HTC Hero 2.1 320x480 which doesn't...
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

kalle2990 wrote:
TechnoCat wrote:Kalle, out of curiosity, which Android device are you targeting? 2.2? 800 x 480? No physical keyboard? Galaxy S?
I'm targeting them all (most probably), as Android supports that. The ndk can build for 2 proccessors too, which the second is the one found at Nexus one. That compiled code will run faster on devices with that proccessor. ^^
I might build a package using OpenGL ES 2 for the devices that supports it. However, I'm using a HTC Hero 2.1 320x480 which doesn't...
This means it is up to the game developer to make sure the game is resolution and keyboard independent?
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Yes, and I forgot to mention earlier; it will have support for devices running 1.6 or later..
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Can you share this SDL version with OpenGL ES 1.0 support?
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

It's an SDL port for Android which uses it tho, but you can find it here
http://www.anddev.org/sdl_port_for_andr ... t9218.html

The source page includes the whole android project, altho my extra libraries that I use (Lua, PhysFS, SDL_Gfx) aren't there. For a stable version, one should download 'last-working-1.6'.
https://github.com/pelya/commandergenius
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Ok. Thanks. I take a look into it.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

I got the app up and running on an Android emulator/device now! :ultrahappy:
As far as I can see, the no game screen is a little laggy. This has to do with the app scaling the .love down from 800 pixels to 320 and all the stars rotating. However I couldn't see all the green 'lovers' rotating as they were too small. It ran on about 9-10 FPS on my HTC Hero, I'm presuming that it will run atleast twice faster on a phone with Android 2.2 or/and a 1 Ghz proccessor. Pictures will be posted after several small improvments has been made ^^
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

kalle2990 wrote:I got the app up and running on an Android emulator/device now! :ultrahappy:
As far as I can see, the no game screen is a little laggy. This has to do with the app scaling the .love down from 800 pixels to 320 and all the stars rotating. However I couldn't see all the green 'lovers' rotating as they were too small. It ran on about 9-10 FPS on my HTC Hero, I'm presuming that it will run atleast twice faster on a phone with Android 2.2 or/and a 1 Ghz proccessor. Pictures will be posted after several small improvments has been made ^^
How does it run if you make a Löve project that uses the exact resolution of the screen? (No scaling)