How to save/load data to/from file?

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
Ratchet
Citizen

How to save/load data to/from file?

Post by Ratchet »

I want to store game data like highscores or something but i.e the love.filesystem.write won't work. Is this a problem of the path I use?
"/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.ratchet.gamename/filename.txt"
macOS 10.14 Mojave | LÖVE 11.2
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: How to save/load data to/from file?

Post by T-Bone »

I just think that love.filesystem simply isn't implemented yet. Just wait for it.

Also, writing to the sdcard is probably not what you want. It requires special permissions if you make your game standalone. It's better to use folders that the Android system gives each app for smaller files like settings, high scores etc.
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

T-Bone wrote:I just think that love.filesystem simply isn't implemented yet. Just wait for it.

Also, writing to the sdcard is probably not what you want. It requires special permissions if you make your game standalone. It's better to use folders that the Android system gives each app for smaller files like settings, high scores etc.
What if I need to load custom files from the user, for example, custom maps, or custom <insert_here_something>?

With Lua IO procedures I can do this on PC quite easy, but on Android? Can't i just io.open("/mnt/sdcard/something.map", "r")?

I need to test on my device...
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Username wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I just think that love.filesystem simply isn't implemented yet. Just wait for it.

What if I need to load custom files from the user, for example, custom maps, or custom <insert_here_something>?

With Lua IO procedures I can do this on PC quite easy, but on Android? Can't i just io.open("/mnt/sdcard/something.map", "r")?

I need to test on my device...
It could work, just make sure you have permission to read the sdcard.
Ratchet
Citizen

Post by Ratchet »

Would be great to see this working in the near future. I guess love is great for making stuff for android but quite useless if you even can't store the player's name :awesome:
macOS 10.14 Mojave | LÖVE 11.2