love-android: discussion

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: love-android

Post by TechnoCat »

hagish wrote:Currently we load an unzipped love file from an hardcoded path on the sdcard.
The thing is, are we going to install love2d from the market and then download loves ourselves? Or are we going to be able to download love games from the market and just run them?
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Both should be possible :).

It should be love game developers choice.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Having a general LÖVE launcher is only useful for developers. Please make it compatible with the Android app architecture as much as possible, otherwise nobody's going to use it.

The project you are working on is a dream come true for many of us, including myself. Please make it awesome.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

holy shit
@rynesaur
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

Very cool I was debating over doing something like this or rewriting In The Dark to be native in android. If this eventually works well enough to make löve essentially crossplatform with android I'm sure it would bring a lot of attention to the community. Even the better android game engines / frameworks are no where near as dev friendly as löve (maybe excluding some of the 3D ones, but honestly 3D on portables kinda sucks).
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

The Burrito wrote:Very cool I was debating over doing something like this or rewriting In The Dark to be native in android. If this eventually works well enough to make löve essentially crossplatform with android I'm sure it would bring a lot of attention to the community. Even the better android game engines / frameworks are no where near as dev friendly as löve (maybe excluding some of the 3D ones, but honestly 3D on portables kinda sucks).
Totally agree. Played around a bit with AndEngine, which was a pain in the butt to work with and slow too, and libgdx, which I couldn't understand the slightest. LÖVE for Android sounds like a miraculous dream come true. This was the greatest birthday gift I could possibly have recieved :neko: (yep, my birthday today)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There's also Corona, but it has a yearly payment for actually publishing games, I think.
hughes
Prole

Post by hughes »

T-Bone wrote:This was the greatest birthday gift I could possibly have recieved :neko: (yep, my birthday today)
Happy birthday! You were likely conceived on Valentine's day. There's one to think about.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

How hard would it be to make this work with Android 2.1? Do you use any new features that were added to 2.2, etc.?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
hagish
Citizen

Post by hagish »

I think changing the required version number from 2.2 to 2.1. The main reason for 2.2 was that my phone runs with it.