love-native-android discussions

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
T-Bone
Inner party member

love-native-android discussions

Post by T-Bone »

There has been talk of having two threads about love-native-android, one for development, news and bug reports, and one for discussions (stand alone games versus a single LÖVE app, etc.) so I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussions thread, and leave the other one for more "serious" stuff. If you guys think that this is a bad idea, I'll just remove this one.

I want to start this thread by saying that love-native-android is totally awesome. Making games with Android's standard API is cumbersome, and performance isn't all that great unless you work with OpenGL directly, preferably through the Java Native Interface. And that's not something a simple game developer wants to worry about. There are some other game engines, like AndEngine and libgdx, but they're far from easy to work with. LÖVE and Android coming together is amazing, and I think that if making stand-alone Android games with LÖVE is easy, then this will not only be awesome for us that already know LÖVE, but it will also draw the attention of other Android game developers. Since the games you develop can be run on a computer for testing, just like libgdx, it really helps to speed up development.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: love-native-android discussions

Post by T-Bone »

I was thinking about starting a "request a feature"-thread. I realize that it may not matter much until the standard LÖVE API works, but some day love-native-android will need it's own APIs for some things (like forcing a specific orientation, which is important for most, if not all, games that target the Android platform). Is this thread a good idea? Perhaps it should be combined with a "report bugs" thread, or they could be two separate threads. Or perhaps bug reports could go into the "development" thread...
Moe
Party member

Re: love-native-android discussions

Post by Moe »

Feel free to create a new topic for both. I think that bugs reports will be posted everywhere anyway, but some structure might be helpful.