[DEPRECATED] Experimental iOS port (LÖVE 0.9.2)

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
vlag
Prole

Re: Experimental iOS port (LÖVE 0.9.x)

Post by vlag »

Well, LÖVE currently uses LuaJIT (or just Lua 5.1 in the iOS port for now, since I haven't built LuaJIT for iOS yet.)
Hmm ok this is my fault, I wanted to go too fast. It also explain why I had to remove the luax_typerror definition.
I fixed a couple of the warnings, but some of them are from libraries which I can't fix.
Right, I didn't checked. Anyway it's really not a big deal, I just wanted to point it out in case ;)

The rest was purely because of the configuration/absolute path issues, so I'll try to run a real .love game today but I don't think there will be runtime issues (except those you already listed). :)
gogoprog
Prole

Post by gogoprog »

Good job it works really well!
qwook
Prole

Post by qwook »

I wonder if it's worth it to write a script that compiles lua files into a c header file with the bytecode and run that instead of creating a .love file haha
vlag
Prole

Post by vlag »

In case, I read the description of the first post and I think that the issue
Switching away from the app (pressing the 'home' button, etc.) will make it crash.
is because the engine continue to draw after the application enter the background. This is weel explained on the Mobile Platform pararaph of the SDL Migration Guide.

Since it's the only real blocking issue, maybe you can consider to merge this iOS experimental branch into the master one after this issue will be solve ?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

vlag wrote:In case, I read the description of the first post and I think that the issue
Switching away from the app (pressing the 'home' button, etc.) will make it crash.
is because the engine continue to draw after the application enter the background.
The love.audio thread (OpenAL) also makes it crash on re-entry - you just don't notice right now because it crashes on exit first. :)
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

Guys, need your help... I got blank top in simulator. When I'm telling love to draw at (0,0) it is drawing at (0,40). I tried to set it like (0,-40) and the result was a bit unexpected(take a look at screenshot). What's wrong? Any ideas? :o

It must be a blue square. I even tried to remove status bar.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 3.59.50.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 3.59.50.png (42.37 KiB) Viewed 8526 times
Ivo
Prole

Post by Ivo »

Hey all, this is my first adventure into LÖVE, and I wanted to get a program working on my (jailbroken) iPad. The first problem I had was with coroutines, but I solved it by compiling LuaJIT and using that. My second problem is that when I bring the keyboard up using "love.keyboard.setTextInput(true)," it drops back down when I press the "return" key. Is there any way to make the on-screen keyboard stay up after pressing the "return" key?

Thanks for making such an awesome program!
adekto
Prole

Post by adekto »

hi i can get it compiled but the .love file wont run (just a hello world love file)
what name did the love file need to have, any place to set a path?

slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I pushed some updates which (among other things) should fix the crashing issue when switching away from the love app.
However, if you call any love.graphics function in love.update, you will need to make sure that love.graphics.isActive() returns true, otherwise the function call may cause a crash (this happens if love.update is called while the app is in the background but not suspended.)

For example:

Code: Select all

function love.update(dt)
    if not love.graphics.isActive() then return end
    -- do stuff...
end
The default love.run has been changed so love.draw is only called if love.graphics.isActive returns true, so you don't need to check inside your love.draw.
adekto wrote:hi i can get it compiled but the .love file wont run (just a hello world love file)
what name did the love file need to have, any place to set a path?
When you add your .love to Supporting Files, you should make sure to check the "Add to targets: love" checkbox so it will be copied:

However, if you modify the .love or remove it without doing a full rebuild, Xcode might not copy the updates (or remove it) from inside the love app.
When using the simulator, you can update the .love inside the love app inside the Simulator's app folder directly (my first post has instructions for finding it.)

If you're testing a game on a real iOS device, I recommend going through the File Sharing section of your device on iTunes to update the game:

IndieKid wrote:Guys, need your help... I got blank top in simulator. When I'm telling love to draw at (0,0) it is drawing at (0,40). I tried to set it like (0,-40) and the result was a bit unexpected(take a look at screenshot). What's wrong? Any ideas? :o

It must be a blue square. I even tried to remove status bar.
Can you share your .love?

If you set borderless = true (either in conf.lua or with love.window.setMode), the top status bar will be hidden.

Ivo wrote:My second problem is that when I bring the keyboard up using "love.keyboard.setTextInput(true)," it drops back down when I press the "return" key. Is there any way to make the on-screen keyboard stay up after pressing the "return" key?

Thanks for making such an awesome program!
I'm not sure - I think this is up to SDL, but looking at its code for creating the keyboard on iOS it has this line: "textField.returnKeyType = UIReturnKeyDefault;" which shouldn't make it go away when pressing the return key.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Is love.filesystem still untested?