[DEPRECATED] Experimental iOS port (LÖVE 0.9.2)

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
xpol
Prole

Re: Experimental iOS port (LÖVE 0.9.x)

Post by xpol »

Thanks T-Bone and slime.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

slime wrote:Can you share your .love?
I haven't worked for a while on that. Maybe latter. I've returned to development of my previous game that runs love 0.8.0.
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

Hey Slime, has there been any major changes on the iOS branch so far? I'm mostly concerned with possibly game-breaking bugs (the listed known bugs I can work around).
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There have been a few bugfixes recently - I don't know of any game-breaking bugs anymore (although I've only tested a couple games), it's almost as stable as the Android port.
I've updated the first post a bit to better reflect its development status.
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

slime wrote:it's almost as stable as the Android port.
Awww... thanks ;)!

Apart from that: awesome!
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

This is amazing! Thank you very much!

I will try to test asap.
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

slime wrote:it's almost as stable as the Android port.
Nice, very, very nice. :D
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I've been updating the iOS code (and in some cases the common mobile code - anything that isn't obviously iOS-specific) a lot over the past week, so I guess I should post a changelog.

Here are the changes for the past two months up until now. Note that anything from the past few weeks which applies to Android won't be in the Android port until fysx releases the next update.
  • Added new flag t.accelerometerjoystick to love.conf (true by default.) If set to false on Android/iOS, the device's accelerometer won't show up as a joystick even if the joystick module is loaded. This can save some CPU usage/power drain if the accelerometer won't be used.
  • Added love.mouse.hasCursor. Returns true if the system supports cursors (this will be false on iOS and Android.)
  • Added love.window.isTouchScreen. Returns true if the display has a touch screen.
  • Added iOS-specific 'orientations' window setting (described here.)
  • Added an editable list of .love games to the un-fused version of LÖVE for iOS. It shows up when LÖVE is launched, and displays all games in love.app's Documents folder (which is where games go when they're downloaded on the device or loaded onto the device from iTunes.)
  • Updated the shader preprocessor to strip precision qualifiers when targeting desktop OpenGL, so highp/mediump/lowp can be used in shader code on desktops without causing errors (assuming the version of LÖVE for the desktop was compiled using the mobile-common code.)
  • Updated the texture loading code to support PVRTC compressed textures on iOS and ETC1 compressed textures on Android.
  • Updated love.graphics.print with some minor optimizations.
  • Updated the love.image backends: replaced DevIL with alternatives when loading PNG, JPEG, TGA, and BMP images. Image loading should be faster and will use less memory in those cases.
  • Updated the mipmap filtering code for Images to silently disable mipmapping if the image is NPOT and the OpenGL ES implementation doesn't support mipmapping for NPOT images.
  • Updated the 'repeat' texture wrap code for Images and Canvases to return false if the texture is NPOT and the OpenGL ES implementation doesn't support repeat wrapping for NPOT images (it now returns true on success.)
  • Updated resolution handling code on iOS to handle retina screens like how it's handled in OS X (described more here.)
  • Updated the Lua library on iOS from standard Lua 5.1 to LuaJIT.
  • Updated the minimum supported runtime version to iOS 6.
  • Updated love.event.quit on iOS to 'restart' love rather than showing a blank screen. This may be buggy in some situations (especially if a game has threads which it doesn't clean up properly), and Apple's reviewers probably won't like it if you submit an app that has a button called 'quit' in it.
  • Updated the status bar on iOS 7 to use white text instead of black (when it isn't hidden via a fullscreen or borderless window.)
  • Fixed the 'none' line join mode on OpenGL ES.
  • Fixed mono Sources causing all sound to be muted when they're played on iOS.
  • Fixed love.window.setMode/love.window.setFullscreen not properly updating the status bar visibility on iOS 7.
  • Fixed window resize events not being sent sometimes on iOS.
  • Fixed several bugs with rotation and screen orientation behaviour on iOS.
The common mobile code (and thus LÖVE for iOS) is based on the in-progress LÖVE 0.9.2 update for desktops. The current changelog for that can be found here.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Nice!
Great work!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
smokingbunny
Prole

Post by smokingbunny »

ive recently got this to work first time, which is great. so thanks a big bloody, ruddy bunch balls. i made a blog post on getting it done myself, just to share what was made in this forum post
RIGHT HERE

one question that is entering my noggin now with iLÖVE2D, is with editing .love files, or making them i should say on the tablet itself.
ok, say i have a full dev acconut or jailbroken tablet with iLÖVE2D, also with textastic on, which is a lovely text application, though sadly does not build to love like sublime. but say i have textastic writing lua files for love, and i do zip them in the tablet, is it possible to then send the file to the love application?

pretty much acting like any desktop, but you know, not, since its a tablet. but would that be possible? if so, then ill instantly jailbreak my tablet and use it for making things when i go away, rather than using my very much on deaths door laptop
lewis lepton
------
website