LöveFTW - preview release

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
gomez
Citizen

Re: LöveFTW - preview release

Post by gomez »

bartbes wrote:What kind of changes are necessary? With mobile support in love and universal windows app support in sdl2, is there much left? Even though I'm not sure any of the devs want to explicitly support "FTW" as a target, I wouldn't be opposed to merging changes in.
As far as I researched, it seems that few things are necessary to make LÖVE runs on Windows 10 as a universal app. The ANGLE and SDL works together apparently well and the little I know, the code of LÖVE is highly portable (I mean, the libraries that LÖVE uses to work also work on Windows 10, on the "Modern Environment" ). Maybe we need to change something on LÖVE's src, because as far as I've seen, Windows 10 imposes some restrictions on apps that don't have in other platforms..

I don't use Windows, and i've never coded a universal app, so I can't say for sure :(
It would be nice run LÖVE on the three major mobile platforms. Here where I live and in many countries, Windows Phone and 10 has many users. And have our belöved framework running on almost every sort of device is pretty cool.
Hey dude :D
Do you want to protect earth from an apocalypse ? Me too o/
Check my new game here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81001
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

gomez wrote:
bartbes wrote:What kind of changes are necessary? With mobile support in love and universal windows app support in sdl2, is there much left? Even though I'm not sure any of the devs want to explicitly support "FTW" as a target, I wouldn't be opposed to merging changes in.
As far as I researched, it seems that few things are necessary to make LÖVE runs on Windows 10 as a universal app. The ANGLE and SDL works together apparently well and the little I know, the code of LÖVE is highly portable (I mean, the libraries that LÖVE uses to work also work on Windows 10, on the "Modern Environment" ). Maybe we need to change something on LÖVE's src, because as far as I've seen, Windows 10 imposes some restrictions on apps that don't have in other platforms..

I don't use Windows, and i've never coded a universal app, so I can't say for sure :(
It would be nice run LÖVE on the three major mobile platforms. Here where I live and in many countries, Windows Phone and 10 has many users. And have our belöved framework running on almost every sort of device is pretty cool.
Yeah. I mean, I got it to run fine on the 8.1 Universal platform, and that's even more limited than the Win10 UWP. I did have to find special versions of some libraries (because the main branches don't/didn't have Metro support out of the box), and that will probably be necessary for Windows 10's UWP as well.

On 8.1, I also had to do some minor changes to Löve's source code (because Löve identified it as Windows, it wanted to do some desktop-only stuff, but that was pretty minor to fix).
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

T-Bone wrote:I did have to find special versions of some libraries (because the main branches don't/didn't have Metro support out of the box), and that will probably be necessary for Windows 10's UWP as well.
Which libraries in particular? LÖVE 0.10.0 has fewer library dependencies than 0.9.2 did.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

slime wrote:
T-Bone wrote:I did have to find special versions of some libraries (because the main branches don't/didn't have Metro support out of the box), and that will probably be necessary for Windows 10's UWP as well.
Which libraries in particular? LÖVE 0.10.0 has fewer library dependencies than 0.9.2 did.
Like... Almost all of them? SDL and ANGLE has WinRT 8.1 support. PhysFS had nothing, so I had to fix that myself. For libogg, OpenAL, FreeType and zlib, I found ports that other people had made for the 8.1 WinRT, and just used those. For lua itself, I didn't find any straight port, but there was a half-complete tutorial on how to get it to run with some minor modifications, which I was able to do.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Just want to mention that LöveFTW development for the Windows 10 UWP has officially begun :neko: SDL and OpenGL works so far! You can follow its development here if you're interested: https://github.com/ahrnbom/l-veftw

EDIT: Lua support is now there! :neko:
Last edited by T-Bone on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aloisdeniel
Prole

Post by aloisdeniel »

Great news !
My LÖVE libraries : pixelatlas, pixelmap
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I THINK I've gotten PhysFS to work now, had to report it to WinRT because the old one I did last time refused to compile for some reason.

Another piece of great news is that UWP apps are officially coming to the Xbox One this summer! This means that LöveFTW will be Löve's first generally available port to a big-name game console!
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Great News, how far are you with actually adding Löve?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Jack5500 wrote:Great News, how far are you with actually adding Löve?
So far, nothing. Last time I did this, I added Löve when I had Lua, SDL, ANGLE and PhysFS (because that's all you need to run a really basic, stripped-down version of Löve that you can still verify that it works). But since adding Löve itself was very little work last time, the work of having to strip out all the other dependencies seems unnecessary to me. So my current plan is therefore to get all dependencies first, and then add Löve itself. And I'm about halfway through the dependencies now, I guess.

Edit: OpenAL, libogg and libvorbis are now in place. I'm currently trying to get libtheora in.
Edit: libtheora is now in there. It will be very interesting to see how video performance is, especially on ARM devices :neko:
Edit: Started on libmpg123. Looks really messy to compile... Will have to look how I did it last time, I think :P
Edit: Looks like my previous solution was to simple skip out on libmpg123. Oh well, I'll probably do the same here.
Edit: FreeType is in there now.
Edit: zlib is in there now.
Edit: Löve's source code is in there. Doesn't quite compile yet but it's getting there.
Edit: Löve compiles now! It instantly segfaults when I try to run it (seems like a PhysFS issue) but it means I'm probably soon done!
Edit: PhysFS issues seem to be fixed. Now I get SDL/OpenGL issues when creating a context for the window... GLGears worked, so it should be possible. Will have to look into this...
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Well, look at that! :neko:
Attachments
Screenshot of LöveFTW
Screenshot of LöveFTW
löveftw.png (637.61 KiB) Viewed 27406 times