Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Love.js - A Direct Emscripten Port

Post by Ranguna259 »

Awesome, now all we need is a new online love editor (since the old one broke down..)
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

That is awesome! Great job! If I could, I would star your repo a thousand times.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

My internet is a bit slow today, so github was downloading at 8 KB/s and I didn't have time to mess around with it just yet.
I just want to say thank you for your hard work, I hope this will turn into an official port someday!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Looks good, but judging from your github issues you seem to be stuck on the thread part, which is essential for several features.
Is that right?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Jack5500 wrote:you seem to be stuck on the thread part, which is essential for several features.
Is that right?
Emscripten doesn't support C threads at all. LÖVE internally uses C threads for a couple things (some audio decoding, as well as video decoding) – plus [wiki]love.thread[/wiki] uses them.
The audio and video decoding could be moved to the main thread though, at the cost of some framerate when they do large amounts of work.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

But that would require several changes in the Löve sourcecode, right? So it would be two casebases to maintain?
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

I had an idea although it's probably not a good one but if a JavaScript code path was used for audio and video they probably will be done by the browser in a separate thread. But idk how browsers do those kind of things.

Edit: and if it doesn't the codepath could use webworkers maybe. I'm sure there has to be a way to make audio and video happen on a separate thread. Probably would be more involved though.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Tanner wrote:
T-Bone wrote:Does not work on IE on WP8.1, but that's sort of expected :P I'll try it on Edge once I upgrade to Windows 10.
Yeah.... :/ Internet Explorer is, well, it's something.
It's not as bad as its reputation, lots of complex Javascript and WebGL stuff work in it actually. It'll be interesting to see how much better Edge is at following standards.
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

I've update the repo with a fix for streaming audio. You'll notice that Mr. Rescue now sounds a lot better: http://tannerrogalsky.com/mrrescue/ (You may need to refresh that page if you've visited it before).

The change is under 20 lines of code, for those of you concerned about maintainability.
Video is still TODO.
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Just wanted to pass by and say a huge thanks for this project. Does it support shaders, and/or networking through sockets?