CLove,port of Love into C/OpenGL ES 2.0

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
Murii
Party member

CLove,port of Love into C/OpenGL ES 2.0

Post by Murii »

Hey!
For the past year or so I'm trying to clone Love so that I can understand everything that's related to game dev(it's not my first attempt, if you look at my github page you'll see what I'm talking about).
CLove is made in C and it's using only open source libraries and it's working on Windows,Mac and Linux and Web(the build system currently is broken on Web) with future plans of Android and 3D.
Currently I've done lots of tests and as soon as I need a certain feature that CLove lacks and Love has I'm adding it but I'm not sure if all the games which are currently made in Love will run just fine. Anyway the idea behind this post is just to promovate my work and see what people think,it's not meant to replace Love. I encourage you to take a look and why not play around with it. :nyu:

You can star it or play aroud with it here:
https://github.com/Murii/CLove

P.S: Do you think I should add examples with what CLove is currently supporting or perhaps even small game demos?
Last edited by Murii on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: CLove, semi port of Love into C/OpenGL ES 2.0

Post by Nixola »

Is there any specific reason you're doing this, since LÖVE itself can use OpenGL ES 2.0 and supports Android (and 3D, with LÖVE3D - a pure LuaJIT lib, if I recall correctly)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Nixola wrote:Is there any specific reason you're doing this, since LÖVE itself can use OpenGL ES 2.0 and supports Android (and 3D, with LÖVE3D - a pure LuaJIT lib, if I recall correctly)
To be honest, I don't quite like how Love is structured plus I kinda appreciate more C then C++ and Love has a weird build system that I totally dislike, I prefer cmake or make.
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

Murii wrote:
Nixola wrote:Is there any specific reason you're doing this, since LÖVE itself can use OpenGL ES 2.0 and supports Android (and 3D, with LÖVE3D - a pure LuaJIT lib, if I recall correctly)
To be honest, I don't quite like how Love is structured plus I kinda appreciate more C then C++ and Love has a weird build system that I totally dislike, I prefer cmake or make.
Love uses cmake and autotools for it's build system.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: CLove,port of Love into C/OpenGL ES 2.0

Post by slime »

I love how simple and bloat-free the code is. Nice work!
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

As for your "PS" question, the answer is undoubtedly "yes".
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

T-Bone wrote:As for your "PS" question, the answer is undoubtedly "yes".
Added a couple more examples which in my opinion should cover the basics to start making prototypes in CLove. There should be more added but I think it will be a better idea to just post a demo game as an example and let the developers learn from there. :awesome:

Also I added the logo into the readme file. The logo was made by Le_juiceBOX, I just added an extra "C"
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I think what your Readme.md lacks is some kind of motivation. What does Clöve do that Löve doesn't? What is the benefit for the game developer?
desman
Prole

Post by desman »

OMG, this is so awesome! How about the binary size, is it smaller or larger than Love2d?

If this works on iOS & Android and if the binary size smaller than standard Love2d .apk, I would love to use CLove.
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

desman wrote:OMG, this is so awesome! How about the binary size, is it smaller or larger than Love2d?

If this works on iOS & Android and if the binary size smaller than standard Love2d .apk, I would love to use CLove.
On Mac the binary size is 2mb so it should be the same or somewhere the same on windows and linux. Right now it does not work on phones because I have not made the build system. :crazy: