LÖVE for the Switch

Discuss any ports of LÖVE to different platforms.
mlopes
Prole

Re: LÖVE for the Switch

Post by mlopes »

Hi all,

Wondering what the recently announced changes on Nintendo developer's policies means for Love2D?

It looks like it may suddenly be easier to get it running there.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Those changes currently apply to Wii U and 3DS, no announcement about the Switch yet. Also there is a non disclosure agreement so whoever gets an account and ports LÖVE won't be able to publish that stuff. Pretty much like Steam integration...

It may be easier though for game developers to port their games to the aforementioned consoles by porting LÖVE to use Nintendo's SDK, but they will have to do it on their own and won't be able to share that development publicly (much less as open source)
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Man, if the Switch gets hacked and an unofficial port of Löve somehow ended up on it...
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Yesterday I tried running a javascript NES emulator, and surprisingly it worked. I'm going to try and see if love.js also runs on it, this would be great!
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Ulydev wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 am Yesterday I tried running a javascript NES emulator, and surprisingly it worked. I'm going to try and see if love.js also runs on it, this would be great!
Did you try running it in the in-switch web browser? If so - that's pretty good news!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Davidobot wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am
Ulydev wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 am Yesterday I tried running a javascript NES emulator, and surprisingly it worked. I'm going to try and see if love.js also runs on it, this would be great!
Did you try running it in the in-switch web browser? If so - that's pretty good news!
Yes, it was running in the browser. I'll try to run LÖVE tonight and will post the results here :awesome:

EDIT: doesn't work yet. No proper webgl support
Last edited by Ulydev on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
alloyed
Citizen

Post by alloyed »

Positive07 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 am It may be easier though for game developers to port their games to the aforementioned consoles by porting LÖVE to use Nintendo's SDK, but they will have to do it on their own and won't be able to share that development publicly (much less as open source)
Depends on what you mean by share, I'd guess. You could always publicly say, "I have a port, if you've signed the nintendo NDA you can email me for the code". So it'd be like open source but only within the secret club.
ofc for this to be worth it you'd need to have a game worth selling on the switch /shrug
gingerbeardman
Prole

Post by gingerbeardman »

alloyed wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:29 pm
Positive07 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 am It may be easier though for game developers to port their games to the aforementioned consoles by porting LÖVE to use Nintendo's SDK, but they will have to do it on their own and won't be able to share that development publicly (much less as open source)
Depends on what you mean by share, I'd guess. You could always publicly say, "I have a port, if you've signed the nintendo NDA you can email me for the code". So it'd be like open source but only within the secret club.
this is exactly how it works. Here's info about this process as it applies to MonoGame (another framework) which was used in the recent port of Stardew Valley.

http://community.monogame.net/t/is-swit ... ady/8989/2

So I think somebody on the LÖVE team should talk to Nintendo at: https://developer.nintendo.com or maybe tweeting Tim Symons at NOE: @timfollowsyou or your friendly local Nintendo Developer Advocate
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

We need to make it real...
adekto
Prole

Post by adekto »

out of curiosity why cant we share the compile system? i mean unity and unreal have it
even if its under heavy nda knowing it will work with would be helpful

having looked at the Nintendo development page you can go with webkit meaning if you can run your game in electron or similar your not far off, would not recommend running emscripten but something more like the old loveJS