Bomb Jockey

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Skeiks
Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Bomb Jockey

Post by Skeiks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:22 am

I was feeling pretty down about not having finished a game in a few years so I decided to start a really simple game and gave myself some clear expectations. I got some open licensed art from OpenGameArt and spent a few weeks putting together Bomb Jockey.

Image

In Bomb Jockey you run around and dodge bombs. You get points by being close to explosions but not touching them. On phones, the game is controlled using the accelerometer. You tilt the phone to run. Not much more to add :P .

The game is made for Android so there are a few quirks. The game begins with a calibration process that makes sense on phones but not so much on PC. The game is also hooked up into google's game services for achievements and highscores, that doesn't work on PC.

The game is out here on Google Play. You may not be able to see it for an hour or two after I post this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bombjockey


Thanks to these guys for distributing their content!
http://opengameart.org/content/bombs
http://opengameart.org/content/browserq ... -and-tiles
http://opengameart.org/content/classic-hero
http://opengameart.org/content/explosions-2
http://opengameart.org/content/fantasy- ... ts-library
Attachments
game.love
(293.95 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

User avatar
whitebear
Citizen
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:50 am

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by whitebear » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Very solid. For free pc highscore service I could suggest: http://dreamlo.com/

User avatar
Semeon
Prole
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Semeon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Really nice game. Great work. If you were to make an update for this game I would highly suggest extra levels. Of course this is up to you.

Germanunkol
Party member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Germanunkol » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:24 pm

I agree with the others, very nice gameplay, the "juice" is just perfect!

Only thing I don't like too much is that it looks like I can die even if I'm just outside the bomb radius when it hits... I played a few times and didn't manage to get a feeling for how close I can get without getting hurt. Maybe the red circle is a little too small?

Anyways, great work, and congrats on finishing a game!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de

User avatar
Skeiks
Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Skeiks » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I would like to add more levels and obstacles if I ever get around to expanding the concept. Maybe something akin to this old flash game I liked, Survival Lab. But I have some other ideas I want to work on first.
Germanunkol wrote:Only thing I don't like too much is that it looks like I can die even if I'm just outside the bomb radius when it hits... I played a few times and didn't manage to get a feeling for how close I can get without getting hurt. Maybe the red circle is a little too small?

Anyways, great work, and congrats on finishing a game!
I played around a bit after you posted this and I agree. I think the fact that the hitbox for the bombs is a perfect circle while the graphic is an oval might contribute to this. I'm going to switch the hitbox over to being a rectangle I think, and make the graphic bigger.

User avatar
master both
Party member
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 am
Location: Chile

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by master both » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Great game! Simple and fun, the best combination for a mobile game. Some extra levels like bombs falling in line throught the screen or forming shapes would be even more fun. Congrats on finishing it!

Germanunkol
Party member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Germanunkol » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Skeiks wrote: I played around a bit after you posted this and I agree. I think the fact that the hitbox for the bombs is a perfect circle while the graphic is an oval might contribute to this. I'm going to switch the hitbox over to being a rectangle I think, and make the graphic bigger.
Ah, yes, that probably explains it.
Why not just make the hitbox an oval, too? I think that would be best, and should be simple to implement. A rectangle might be just as frustrating as using a circle.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de

User avatar
Skeiks
Citizen
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Skeiks » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am

Germanunkol wrote:
Skeiks wrote: I played around a bit after you posted this and I agree. I think the fact that the hitbox for the bombs is a perfect circle while the graphic is an oval might contribute to this. I'm going to switch the hitbox over to being a rectangle I think, and make the graphic bigger.
Ah, yes, that probably explains it.
Why not just make the hitbox an oval, too? I think that would be best, and should be simple to implement. A rectangle might be just as frustrating as using a circle.
This is true, I just didn't know the math off hand for an oval to oval collision but I can always just look it up or use a lib.

Germanunkol
Party member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Bomb Jockey

Post by Germanunkol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:45 am

I had to look it up as well, but I think with a bit of fiddling you can figure it out.
Example: https://gist.github.com/tmathews/3455525
... and I really think it'll be worth the effort.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests