UPDATED: My Tetris Clone (yes...another)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
tv_user
Citizen

UPDATED: My Tetris Clone (yes...another)

Post by tv_user »

tv_user wrote:My Tetris clone! I named it LOVE-ly Tetris :awesome:
Made it some time ago, to test Love2D and Lua. I used some code from the "No" demo. It's entirely drawn at runtime. It doesn't have sound as well. Not a priority. But it has an awesome 2-player mode lol. The code is free to use/re-use in any ways you may want.
Hope it works. Please report me any bugs you may find. Oh, and suggestions never hurt ;)

UPDATE (27-09-12):
Based on your feedback, I'm working on a new version for this wonderful (*cof *cof) LOVEly Tetris.

News:
- Complete graphic make-over
- Menus navigated only with keyboard (actually the mouse is gone, no longer needed :awesome: )
- Customizable keys
- Choose from 4 different Tetraminoes generators, including a "pseudo-bastard" for the masochists out there
- New "blindmode" which, if active, hides the next tetraminoe from the player
- Save highscores with names
- Fullscreen mode
- "Down" key now accelerates piece drop and doesn't just place it al the way down
- and...something else i'm not remembering...

TO-DO:
- Dual-player modes (both competitive and co-op mode)
- Still no sound
- AWESOME intro splash screen :P

Please report any bugs you may find. Enjoy! :neko:
Attachments
LT v2.love
OH YEEAAHH!!!
(60.35 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Last edited by tv_user on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Did my comment help/offended you? Use the Karma button!!
LÖVEing each day...
Inny
Party member

Re: My Tetris Clone (yes...another)

Post by Inny »

Dammit that game is addictive. Nice implementation.

You know what would be cool? There's a version of tetris called Bastard Tetris that analyzes the gameboard after every piece lands and determines which is the least useful piece to give you, and then gives you it. It's highly frustrating. It'd be cool to have that as a difficulty option in 2 player mode. Every line you make forces the other player to deal with a bastard piece. And make it geometric. 2 lines in a single drop forces the other guy to deal with 3 bastard pieces. 3 forces 5, and 4 forces 9, or whatever formula you want to go with.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I like this tetris very much, but I'd like to have customizable controls
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
tv_user
Citizen

Post by tv_user »

Inny wrote:There's a version of tetris called Bastard Tetris that analyzes the gameboard after every piece lands and determines which is the least useful piece to give you, and then gives you it.
Hmm...now that is a cool idea!! But I think that would work better in single player mode, don't you? The current "punish" system for 2P mode seems to be a little harder, I mean, 5 random blocks instantly put in your board when the other player completes a line is hell! I tried it and boy it causes some heavy damage in your "tidy" shelve lol.
Okay, I've decided: I shall create a single-player "Bastard mode" to keep you Tetris-addicts frustrated!
Thank you for the advice Inny :3
Nixola wrote:I like this tetris very much, but I'd like to have customizable controls
Yes, that surely is a feature I thought about, but ended up never implementing it. It definitely is on the TO-DO list, right next to the "complete graphic make-over" and "add awesome sound"! :ultrahappy: Thanks for the feedback Nixola

EDIT: Did you check the hardcore mode? ;)
LÖVEing each day...
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Yup, and having a large and tall mode (medium mode?) would be awesome :neko:

EDIT: You don't need to unpack tables to use them as argument in setColor, setColor({r, g, b}) works
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Neat. I definitely got screwed over a few times by how fast the block moves when you press down, It would nice if it was a little slower, it seems to just snap in place right now.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

Good old tetris, I like it ^^ . Did you consider implementing cooperative mode (both players share the same board)? That could be fun.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I think a friend just created a block inside the piece I was moving, causing an error :s
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
tv_user
Citizen

Post by tv_user »

Nixola wrote:I think a friend just created a block inside the piece I was moving, causing an error :s
Hmm...I guess that was to be expected, because the game doesnt check the position of the playing piece when it stores the random "punish blocks". I'll have that fixed as well.
jonyzz wrote:Good old tetris, I like it ^^ . Did you consider implementing cooperative mode (both players share the same board)? That could be fun.
WOW, I actually didn't think about it. I'll definitely try it. Thanks for the suggestion
LÖVEing each day...
tv_user
Citizen

Re: UPDATED: My Tetris Clone (yes...another)

Post by tv_user »

I've updated the project. I think the result is looking good, but the "main attractions" are still missing (2P modes).
Please comment, flame, admire or bash to your hearts' content!!! :crazy:
LÖVEing each day...