Pröxima - A Space RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
nonesuchplace
Prole

Re: Pröxima - A Space RTS

Post by nonesuchplace »

I feel like my idea is so much less unique now...

Cool project, by the by. Are you including gravitational bodies and the such? So that you can slingshot ships and projectiles around planets and moons? It would be awesome. Just sayin'.

As for input on resolutions, I will ask rather nicely for you to support 600px as a vertical resolution. I do most of my computing on a tiny little netbook, and I am a die-hard strategy gamer, so I wouldn't want to miss out on a strategy game that would fit both computationally and visually...
--
Shane
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nonesuchplace wrote:I feel like my idea is so much less unique now...
There are no unique ideas, just unique implementations.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nonesuchplace
Prole

Post by nonesuchplace »

I'll keep that in mind.

Actually, that give me an idea for implementation. Hmmm...
--
Shane
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

TechnoCat wrote:I remember Homeworld's music as being very extremely ambient. Not sure if that is what you want.
And also, this is a survey done by Valve of their customers on their hardware. (Very biased towards Windows gamers) http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Thx for the link :)
And yes, homeworld has ambient music with drums. That's the kind of music I'm looking for. Battlestar Galactica has simular music, more classical with drums.

@nonesuchplace and others: I'll consider 600px as minimum height ;)
UPDATE: I've checked and the current design is 560px high!
nonesuchplace wrote:I feel like my idea is so much less unique now...
I don't consider my own game that unique. It's basicly a simple clone of Homeworld :) But I try to give it a personal twist.
nonesuchplace wrote: Are you including gravitational bodies and the such? So that you can slingshot ships and projectiles around planets and moons? It would be awesome. Just sayin'.
It's a cool idea, but for a totally different game. The scale of the maps/missions will be to small to include such major gravitational bodies :)
nonesuchplace
Prole

Post by nonesuchplace »

Cool about the 560px high design.

Although, I was just tooling around with CAMERA to see how it works, and I realized that it has a scale function.

Code: Select all

getCamera():scaleBy(1)
-or-

Code: Select all

setCamera(camera.stretchToResolution(*varX*, *varY*))
It is beautiful, is it not? That way, you could set up a larger, more detailed UI, and if resolution is set to x,y; then you scale the whole shebang. Although with camera.stretch, you have to stay with the current screen ratio.

But, yeah. Cool about the ui being the right size! And sorry if I am needlessly pointing out something that you already know...

--EDIT!: I do some work for a music studio sometimes, and I have a friend who is kind of pretty nifty with fruityloops, so I could probably work out getting some fairly ambient music w/drums.
--
Shane
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

nonesuchplace wrote:Cool about the 560px high design.

Although, I was just tooling around with CAMERA to see how it works, and I realized that it has a scale function.

It is beautiful, is it not? That way, you could set up a larger, more detailed UI, and if resolution is set to x,y; then you scale the whole shebang. Although with camera.stretch, you have to stay with the current screen ratio.

But, yeah. Cool about the ui being the right size! And sorry if I am needlessly pointing out something that you already know...

--EDIT!: I do some work for a music studio sometimes, and I have a friend who is kind of pretty nifty with fruityloops, so I could probably work out getting some fairly ambient music w/drums.
Thx for helping out :) I haven't tried camera stretch/scale before, but I'm afraid things will get blocky/unreadable is you scale/stretch to much (correct me if I'm wrong at this point). For the same reason i haven't decided yet if I'll use a continuous zoom or some predefined zoom levels. With the last option I'll have more control over how things will look like but it will be less flexible for the player.

About the music do you have any samples/tracks I could listen to? It would be great if you could help me out :nyu:

My current logo:

Here is an update how things look like ingame at the moment.
- UI is partially imported
- Unit colors have been decided, Blue (own fleet) Red (enemy fleet)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I approve this.

Any demo would be welcome. 8-)

Incidentally, I have started my own spaceships game too (no rts, arcade).
When I write def I mean function.
nonesuchplace
Prole

Post by nonesuchplace »

I'll be in town tomorrow, so I can swing by the studio and ask. I'll shoot the fruityloops friend a line tonight as well.

You are welcome!
--
Shane
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

kikito wrote:I approve this.

Any demo would be welcome. 8-)

Incidentally, I have started my own spaceships game too (no rts, arcade).
I find it still to early for a demo, but when the time is right i'll release an alpha demo not only for you people who want to try it :), but to get some help on my code. I didn't have a programming training when I was a student. So I'm hoping some experiences programmers could help me optimizing/correcting my code.
nonesuchplace wrote:I'll be in town tomorrow, so I can swing by the studio and ask. I'll shoot the fruityloops friend a line tonight as well.

You are welcome!
Thx keep me updated :D
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Small update:

These things have been done since last update:
  • - I've done a major cleanup in my code and added more commentary
    - Map Scrolling!!! I've added some kind of camera, which can be moved by moving the mouse to the edges of the screen.
    - Foundations for screen resolution/fullscreen options have been laid.
    - It's now possible to have multiple independent weapons attached to a unit
    - I've drawn and added my first destroyers to the game 8-)
    - I've improved the player/enemy/neutral/... code
    - And finally i've fixed some code who has been bothering me for a very long time:
    Trigonometry of a unit is now center-point based instead of engine-point based.
    Only unit turning stays engine based.