In The Dark

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
The Burrito
Party member

Re: In The Dark

Post by The Burrito »

24 hours left and we still need $4k. :(

On The other hand, holy crap, over $1200 in a day and and emails and tweets from cool people!

Really I just want this thing to get funded so I can go back to working on it and not spend half my time doing PR :P
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Seems unlikely that you'll reach your goal, which is teh suck. :(

For what it's worth, I've tossed my money your way, and pimped your project via various contacts and social networks.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Due to how kickstarter works, you haven't actually tossed any money anyone's way yet.

Basically, In the Dark won't get any money at all, because they didn't meet their goal. A shame, really.
nevon

Post by nevon »

thelinx wrote:Due to how kickstarter works, you haven't actually tossed any money anyone's way yet.
I know, and it kind of sucks. Still, I've earmarked that money for when the game actually does come out.
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

thelinx wrote:Due to how kickstarter works, you haven't actually tossed any money anyone's way yet.
Yep, :\ kickstarter really isn't very good for video games, I might run one for a future project of mine that would require a small run of injection molded plastic parts, thats much better suited since I can't exactly do half a production for half the price.

I'm planning a secondary fund raiser using paypal I guess, they take a smaller percentage off of transactions, and if I can get half the money now it should be much easier to raise the other half in 3 or 4 months when I can probably release a demo or something.

I've also started poking around with android development, might release a quick game or 2 for some extra income.
pygy
Citizen

Post by pygy »

If you raise money through paypal, don't talk about donations, but sponsoring.

People have had their account suspended for having used the wrong words to raise cash for a for profit project (I think it was an indie game).
Hermaphroditism is not a crime. -- LSB Superstar

All code published with this account is licensed under the Romantic WTF public license unless otherwise stated.
nevon

Post by nevon »

pygy wrote:If you raise money through paypal, don't talk about donations, but sponsoring.
Definitely!

One route you could go is to "sell" some promotional art with a pay-what-you-want pricing structure. That way, Paypal hopefully shouldn't give you any trouble.
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

pygy wrote:People have had their account suspended for having used the wrong words to raise cash for a for profit project
Very true, it has a lot to do with how exactly everything is structured, I only used the term donate because thats what all the paypal stuff says. Technically it should be in the clear, the issue is a lot more likely to crop up if you avoid paying their transaction fees (the no fees stuff is meant for personal and non profits only).
The reason to avoid the word donation is because people don't like it.

If I need to I can always run another kickstarter, but this way I get some of the money now, with fewer fees.