Lövecraft

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
middlerun
Citizen

Lövecraft

Post by middlerun »

Here's the first roughly-good-enough-to-show-people version of my current project, Lövecraft, a 2D mining and building sim in the vein of Minecraft and Terraria. I know a couple of other people are doing this so it would be cool to get some feedback, suggestions etc.
ByJxI.png
ByJxI.png (99.82 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
1hO7y.png
1hO7y.png (147.56 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Controls:
Move left: A
Move right: D
Break block: Left mouse
Place block: Right mouse
Select block: Scroll wheel
Fire grappling hook: Middle mouse
Jump / release hook: Space
Shorten hook line: W
Lengthen hook line: S

Caveats:
It can take a while for the game to load because the terrain generation is pretty slow.
There's still some bugs with collision detection, especially when using the grappling hook.
The game lags a bit sometimes as it generates new terrain.
There's no items yet which means no tools, so mining is a bit slow. In the meantime press F3 to enable instant mining.
EDIT: Also it uses framebuffers so it might not work on some people's computers.

GitHub repo: https://github.com/Middlerun/lovecraft
Attachments
lovecraft.love
(289.18 KiB) Downloaded 819 times
Last edited by middlerun on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsturzl
Party member

Re: Lövecraft

Post by tsturzl »

Very good, you have definitely gotten the furthest out of all the other terraria clones I've seen. Maybe add your own twist, get a little fancier with the art, and a better inventory system wouldn't hurt ;p
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Good work! I like the rabbit :)
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

I like the rabbit too, but I find the lack of Cthulhu a bit disappointing ;)
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

<.<* That grappling hook looks more like a noose!

But anyway, yeah, I have to agree that Lövecraft has a terribly misleading name, since it has nothing at all to do with H. P. Lovecraft. Now, if you made your game Terraria crossed with the Cthulhu mythos - I'd play the hell out of that! I'd probably even offer to do some graphic work for you.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

T_T No Cthulhu Mythos... What a disappointment ! That's sad, your game seems nice except that. Yeah, that's an idea : Dig and unveil horrors that should have stay buried ! o_O ! A little more frightening that common zombie.

You could take a look at that : http://microlua.xooit.fr/t763-LuaCraft.htm , well, it's in French and for the Nintendo DS, but it's a minecraft-like in lua. It may be interesting...

Keep hard working !
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

Thanks guys. Yeah I know the name's kinda misleading, I'll change it eventually. A better inventory system is high on the to-do list too.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Add a loading screen, a big black box is kind of boring. Also, this is the laggiest and slowest LÖVE game I've seen so far, I guess performance in general is going to be improved. Being able to run the game in a smaller window would be nice too.

Still, looks promising enough :neko:
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

Yeah performance is next on the list to get fixed. The terrain generation is slow as hell because my Perlin noise implementation is pretty inefficient. Most of that is done in a separate thread, but the algorithm which places grass and trees is still in the main thread which causes the lag. Next on the to-do list is to move that into the terrain generation thread. And then a menu system with a loading screen.

Is there any way to make tables accessible to multiple threads? Having to communicate everything through messages containing serialised tables is a pain.

Anyway in the mean time here's a new version with a Minecraft-style inventory hotbar!
Attachments
lovecraft.love
(291.93 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Post by SoggyWaffles »

Rad3k wrote:I like the rabbit too, but I find the lack of Cthulhu a bit disappointing ;)
I was thinking the same thing!
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse