Plazma Being

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Plazma Being (Beta)

Post by Jasoco »

felix24 wrote:hey guys, the reason it's windows only is cause i'm only gonna release it on windows for now. and that's cause i have very little exp/knowledge regarding mac/linux stuff. also i don't own/can't afford a mac. so if there's any issues i can't fix them...

and the reason i have the file on mediafire is cause i want some control over who downloads it. i don't want loads of people downloading the full game right before release.

;)
Löve is cross platform. Do you know what that means? It means you don't have to think about a Mac version or a Linux version or a Windows version. Just provide the .love. You're going about it completely wrong and unfairly cutting people off for no reason other than uncertainty.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

Jasoco wrote:
felix24 wrote:hey guys, the reason it's windows only is cause i'm only gonna release it on windows for now. and that's cause i have very little exp/knowledge regarding mac/linux stuff. also i don't own/can't afford a mac. so if there's any issues i can't fix them...

and the reason i have the file on mediafire is cause i want some control over who downloads it. i don't want loads of people downloading the full game right before release.

;)
Löve is cross platform. Do you know what that means? It means you don't have to think about a Mac version or a Linux version or a Windows version. Just provide the .love. You're going about it completely wrong and unfairly cutting people off for no reason other than uncertainty.
Hey man, sure I know what cross platform means. But I think you do have to worry about mac version/linux version/windows version. especially when selling the game. For example, about two months ago i brought a .love version of the game to my friend's house for him to try on his mac. when he tried to run it, it crashed and threw up some wierd error message that neither of us understood. it worked fine on windows though. it could have just been his machine, but if this kind of thing comes up after selling the game to someone and i have no idea what's going on, then that's not very nice i think. same goes for linux related errors. also building for linux is a bit more awkward than i am willing to deal with at the moment.

i think uncertainty is a very good reason to not do something if you are going to ask money for it. if people pay you for a product (and with games bug fixes and updates are part of the service), then it would be very unprofessional to take money off people and not be able to uphold my end of the bargain.

so, for now i am just providing an exe because this is the format i will be (hopefully) selling the game in, and that's what i want tested at the moment. i'm not trying to insult or exclude anyone. after (if) i manage to release the game successfully, i will look into getting it out on other platforms too. but for now, and this is my first time trying to release a game, i'm going to stick with what i know.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

felix24 wrote:if people pay you for a product (and with games bug fixes and updates are part of the service), then it would be very unprofessional to take money off people and not be able to uphold my end of the bargain.
I understand that is a reason not to release for Linux and Mac.

However, I think most Linux and Mac users will be happier if you say "Alright, you can buy it, but I can't offer support to you" than if you say "Because I can't support you, no game for you".

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can also just not advertise that your game runs on Linux and Mac, but quietly add a .love to your download page "For if you already have LÖVE 0.8.0 installed".

Just think about it. People will like you for releasing a Linux version and a Mac version, even if they have a bug you can't fix (which is pretty rare in LÖVE, by the way: most bugs affect all users equally).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

felix24 wrote:Hey man, sure I know what cross platform means. But I think you do have to worry about mac version/linux version/windows version. especially when selling the game. For example, about two months ago i brought a .love version of the game to my friend's house for him to try on his mac. when he tried to run it, it crashed and threw up some wierd error message that neither of us understood. it worked fine on windows though. it could have just been his machine, but if this kind of thing comes up after selling the game to someone and i have no idea what's going on, then that's not very nice i think. same goes for linux related errors. also building for linux is a bit more awkward than i am willing to deal with at the moment.
That had nothing to do with Mac vs. Windows. It was a graphics card problem most likely. You're cutting off a whole segment of audience for no reason other than uncertainty and doubt. You need to trust your audience. Just put up a .love (Or let Mac and Linux users ask for the .love link if you want to keep it secret and unpublic for now.) and let the people give you the feedback instead of hiding it away from certain people until some unknown point in time. Unless you were using outside libraries that don't come with Löve, your friends Mac experience is not going to be typical. He probably has a really old machine.

Löve is cross-platform. You do not have to worry about the platform when selling it. You DO have to worry about using graphics card features that not everyone, even Windows users, will have.

We can't help you if you won't let us help you. You have plenty of Mac and Linux users here who would love to test your game and give you feedback. You'll never make sure it works on those platforms if you aren't willing to let anyone actually test it.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

Jasoco wrote:
felix24 wrote:Hey man, sure I know what cross platform means. But I think you do have to worry about mac version/linux version/windows version. especially when selling the game. For example, about two months ago i brought a .love version of the game to my friend's house for him to try on his mac. when he tried to run it, it crashed and threw up some wierd error message that neither of us understood. it worked fine on windows though. it could have just been his machine, but if this kind of thing comes up after selling the game to someone and i have no idea what's going on, then that's not very nice i think. same goes for linux related errors. also building for linux is a bit more awkward than i am willing to deal with at the moment.
That had nothing to do with Mac vs. Windows. It was a graphics card problem most likely. You're cutting off a whole segment of audience for no reason other than uncertainty and doubt. You need to trust your audience. Just put up a .love (Or let Mac and Linux users ask for the .love link if you want to keep it secret and unpublic for now.) and let the people give you the feedback instead of hiding it away from certain people until some unknown point in time. Unless you were using outside libraries that don't come with Löve, your friends Mac experience is not going to be typical. He probably has a really old machine.

Löve is cross-platform. You do not have to worry about the platform when selling it. You DO have to worry about using graphics card features that not everyone, even Windows users, will have.

We can't help you if you won't let us help you. You have plenty of Mac and Linux users here who would love to test your game and give you feedback. You'll never make sure it works on those platforms if you aren't willing to let anyone actually test it.
hey man, i don't think it was a graphics card issue. his machine is pretty new (only a year old i think). sure i can make a .love version available for people here to play while the game is in beta, but i'm not going to release it for sale on mac until I own one, and I'd like to be a bit more comfortable with linux before i release it for sale on there too. i'd like to learn about the different linux distributions and how to build proper releases for them and so on before i go ahead with the linux release. right now my linux knowledge is close to zero.
you say one doesn't need to worry about releasing on different platforms, but i WILL worry if i'm afraid i don't know what's going on ;)
i don't think there's anything wrong with releasing on windows first and other platforms later. lots of developers seem do it.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LÖVE is cross-platform, but it does not (and can't ever) guarantee that all code will run the same on all systems. It really is a huge pain in the ass to have to spend 90% of your time troubleshooting problems arising from a small portion of your userbase. There are currently many issues in LÖVE 0.8.0 that affect specific platforms or systems, some due to bugs in LÖVE's code, some due to poor drivers, and some due to other things entirely.
When you sell a product, more consideration is required when deciding which platforms to accept people's money from than simply saying whether you will or will not provide official support. I find it a little sad that you guys are trying to pressure felix into doing something when none of you seem to really understand what it means.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

If you stick to basic stuff then it'll work fine. I assume it has something to do with the shaders you use.

I would like to try it out on my system though if you are willing to let me. I am on OS X and have access to Windows and would gladly test it for you. I don't mean any disrespect or anything. I just think you should offer it to anyone who wants to test it whether they're on Windows or OS X so you can get as much feedback as possible.

I would be interested to know what error your friend got. Did the machine freeze with a grey screen full of different languages? Or did just Löve crash? Have you tried it a second time on the same machine to see if it was typical or did you assume just because it did it once? I'd understand if you were afraid to do it again. Therefore I am willing to sacrifice all machines at my disposal to possibly helping you out as best I can.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

slime wrote: When you sell a product, more consideration is required when deciding which platforms to accept people's money from than simply saying whether you will or will not provide official support. I find it a little sad that you guys are trying to pressure felix into doing something when none of you seem to really understand what it means.
thanks for the backup ;)
Jasoco wrote:If you stick to basic stuff then it'll work fine. I assume it has something to do with the shaders you use.

I would like to try it out on my system though if you are willing to let me. I am on OS X and have access to Windows and would gladly test it for you. I don't mean any disrespect or anything. I just think you should offer it to anyone who wants to test it whether they're on Windows or OS X so you can get as much feedback as possible.

I would be interested to know what error your friend got. Did the machine freeze with a grey screen full of different languages? Or did just Löve crash? Have you tried it a second time on the same machine to see if it was typical or did you assume just because it did it once? I'd understand if you were afraid to do it again. Therefore I am willing to sacrifice all machines at my disposal to possibly helping you out as best I can.
I'm not using any shaders or anything fancy. It's made using 0.7.2. we tried it a few times on his machine and got the same error every time. it wasn't a love error as far as i could tell, it just output some codes that didn't make any sense to us. i can't remember what colour the screen was though unfortunately, but it wasn't the normal love blue screen. i'll try and make a .love available tomorrow or the day after and sure you can have it to try out :) i'd be happy for the help. I'm going to keep it private though cause i like to know who's downloading the game. if you want i'll pm you the download link when it's ready ^^
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's cool. I look forward to trying it out and letting you know if I get the same problems. Just for kicks, do you know what kind of machine he had? It seems weird that he'd have so many problems if you're only using what Löve gives you. I'd love to know what could cause such problems. Hopefully we can figure it out so when you release it there aren't a bunch of complaints.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

I am on mac, but it is his choice, and you can always extract the zip from the exe, iirc the zip file is just appended to the love.exe so you can try to get the zip out of it...
Lua is not an acronym.