Scary Monsters

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: Scary Monsters

Post by Larsii30 »

Now, the trees look to small in my opinion. Good, but small in relation to the house. I think you have good ideas to create your sprites and the first size of them was nice and aesthetic overall. May you could create something like a size template in form of a sprite and try to create everything in a matching relation to it.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Larsii30 wrote:Now, the trees look to small in my opinion. Good, but small in relation to the house. I think you have good ideas to create your sprites and the first size of them was nice and aesthetic overall. May you could create something like a size template in form of a sprite and try to create everything in a matching relation to it.

the trees right now are twice the size as they have been in previous shots. Also, creating a template is exactly what I did. Now all of the trees are either 2 tiles, or 3 tiles large and will make collision a breeze. Again, they might change though.

Also, try not to imagine the trees as they are in real life. This is a whole new world, these trees are suppose to be smaller than the house, they aren't suppose to be like large oak trees or anything.
@rynesaur
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Ryne wrote:
Larsii30 wrote:May you could create something like a size template in form of a sprite and try to create everything in a matching relation to it.
....creating a template is exactly what I did.
That marks a job well done I would think.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

TechnoCat wrote:
Ryne wrote:
Larsii30 wrote:May you could create something like a size template in form of a sprite and try to create everything in a matching relation to it.
....creating a template is exactly what I did.
That marks a job well done I would think.
not sure if that was sarcastic or not :p.

Anyway, I re-designed every resource a few days ago. It's almost un-noticible in the new screenshots but everything now fits perfectly in 8x8 tiles. This includes the trees, which depending on the tree is about 3 different tiles. This seems to make thing's easier since in my mind I could technically have the bottom tile, or the base of the tree collide-able and then draw the remaining tiles above the player.

Unfortunately, due to the perspective - collision - as well as proper placement of sprites is kind of difficult, since because of drawing order I have to draw certain tiles above the player and certain ones under. so the house for instance would have so many collide-able tiles, then the top section would be drawn above the player since it isn't technically collide-able anyway. This way the player could actually walk "behind" the house.

All-in-all, the way I have it now makes sense to me and seems to work great. I'm sure there is a far more efficient way of doing it but I don't want to do anything that I don't understand.
@rynesaur
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Ryne wrote:not sure if that was sarcastic or not :p.
It was not sarcasm.
You have tiles, someone doesn't realize they are tiles. Seems good to me.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

TechnoCat wrote:
Ryne wrote:not sure if that was sarcastic or not :p.
It was not sarcasm.
You have tiles, someone doesn't realize they are tiles. Seems good to me.
yeah, I guess I kind of read that the wrong way.

Anyway, for anyone interested I've started on some new trees.

Which you can check out here: http://d.pr/N3Th

So, they are a little bit bigger, and a lot more defined. Also if anyone really cares you can follow me on twitter (@rwaap) since a lot of times I will post stuff while I'm working.
@rynesaur
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ryne wrote:Which you can check out here: http://d.pr/N3Th
They look like they're dancing. :3
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

They look like the Gyroids from Animal Crossing. Which does mean they should do weird dances and make weird sounds.

Or they could just be inanimate trees.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Jasoco wrote:They look like the Gyroids from Animal Crossing. Which does mean they should do weird dances and make weird sounds.

Or they could just be inanimate trees.
haha, yeah. Unfortunately they won't be doing any dancing. They will, however, be doing some growing.

http://d.pr/6Ywc

edit: updated page 1 with new images and added "time" section.

I've actually created about 100 different "small objects" like the ones seen in this shot:

I'm only showing you guys a few. I want to create a lot of these so I can design a pretty diverse world where you wouldn't see the EXACT same thing everywhere you go.
@rynesaur
Wrinkliez
Prole

Post by Wrinkliez »

Hey dood, I'm glad to see that you're making progress! :nyu:

I was looking at your sprite of the house, and I couldn't tell if the door was open or closed (and the door was just painted black). Which leads me to my question, if it's opened, are we going to be able to go inside houses? Maybe to find items or something? An NPC?

Or they could just be for decoration...