movnshootman

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

movnshootman

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Hello! :huh: I've been working on a Binding of Isaac clone and I would like to know how long you can play this for before you get bored (or how fun this is).
Your goal is to find the boss of the dungeon (red room) and kill it. You can find other rooms (treasure - yellow, market - brown (buggy) and surprise (pink)) to better equip yourself for the fight against the boss. Nothing happens when you get to 0HP... There are a few items that monsters can drop but they don't really do anything fun other than boost your stats. (Graphics from Zelda, Touhou, Maplestory, Pokemon, ... Music from Recettear and other sound effects created with sfxr)

This is for version 0.7.2, I don't think it works on 0.8.

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by adnzzzzZ on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miko
Party member

Re: movnshootman

Post by miko »

adnzzzzZ wrote:Hello! :huh: I've been working on a Binding of Isaac clone and I would like to know how long you can play this for before you get bored (or how fun this is).
Your goal is to find the boss of the dungeon (red room) and kill it. You can find other rooms (treasure - yellow, market - brown (buggy) and surprise (pink)) to better equip yourself for the fight against the boss. Nothing happens when you get to 0HP... There are a few items that monsters can drop but they don't really do anything fun other than boost your stats. (Graphics from Zelda, Touhou, Maplestory, Pokemon, ... Music from Recettear and other sound effects created with sfxr)

This is for version 0.7.2, I don't think it works on 0.8.

Thank you for your time!
Great game! But why winrar? :o
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

When I read that you had used ripped graphics and lifted music from other games, my expectations were quite low. I thought it would just be some 5 minute hack-job. But I was pleasantly surprised. This was solid, and I think you could make something cool out of it. I played it to the end, and thought it was pretty fun.

If I am to offer up some criticism:
  • Space to pick up items sucks. Just have them pick up when you run over them.
  • The sprites are too small. It makes the game feel zoomed out.
  • There's no variation in room shape, and the rooms have no walls or anything.
  • The items have no visible effect, other than changing some numbers that I don't know what they do (picking up a couple of spears made the attack number go up, but my shots looked the same and I didn't feel any stronger)
I was especially impressed with the AI of the boss. That was really cool.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

The background image was cool. And the shooting too. That's all I can comment xD Consider making your game images power of two please ;)
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I played Binding of Isaac Demo and I really like this clone, but sometimes I went outside the screen and I got lost 'cause I couldn't see myself... Also, since I'm playing on a netbook, are you using ipsairs? And could you make enemy "bullets" disappear after some seconds? I can't complete rooms 'cause I lag, there are too many of them...
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

OMG, room of 90 shooty-bats!

*Significant time later*

+240 health from dropped food, yeah!

EDIT) Overall impression:
1) Way, way too much shooting (it just feels like grinding)
2) Enemy shots are generally impossible to dodge
3) When the game skipped or slowed (which is common in the boss room), I tended to accidentally walk through walls. The way to fix this is to make sure dt never gets too big (I suggest 0.1 max)
4) Minimap /really/ needs to show doors.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I genuinely had fun playing this. If you added a few levels, varied the enmies and level patterns, and used your own graphics/music this could be very cool. Oddly enough this is more polished than most things that come out of this framework thus far.

I hope to play a more polished version in the ear future, good luck!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Few problems I had with this, being an isaac fan:
  • As mentioned, space to pick up = bad
  • Rooms are too large, and, in my opinion this makes them harder, because there can be more bullets, and enemies can be further apart.
  • Bullets are on the screen for waaaaaaaaaaay too long.
  • There are no holes in the floor?
  • Rooms that are next to each other appear to not always have a door to the other one.
  • You shouldn't be able to just walk out of the 'door'.
  • Boss music keeps playing if you do just that in the boss room.
I like where this is going though, keep it up.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

adnzzzzZ wrote:Hello! :huh: I've been working on a Binding of Isaac clone
Very good first version, you just need to refine the gameplay motor later when after you add some substance to that empty rooms.

Actually Binding of Isaac turns to be a clone of other very earlier things like Atic Atac. If you have some time play it online because you can get nice ideas here like different secret passages for each class, etc...
http://www.retrobabble.com/games/emus/s ... catac.html
http://www.twinbee.org/hob/play.php?snap=aticatac
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

The first time I opened up the game, I thought the game was broken because no enemies to shoot were coming out of the 3 doors. Wasn't until I opened up the game again that I realized I was supposed to walk through them.