LovelyBigPlanet

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: LovelyBigPlanet

Post by bartbes »

@qubodup (and others): Initiative is appreciated :P
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

I'm down for complaining :)

I think the team needs a few more elements. Some of the previous tasks were also rather large and imprecise.
* Persistence, i.e. version-resilient internal structure for saving&loading and sending over the network. This step that should be done before the game engine and networking. It should not be done by a person considering only one of the two aspects and is therefore a point on its own. This affects almost everyone.
* Ideas <=>? Concept development. Quite distinct from the coding part. "Everyone"? Might still be good to have someone in charge for coordinating. This affects everyone.
* Graphical interface. I'm not referring to frames and buttons, the internal world should be presentable to a user, regardless of whether or not it is the character you control. Done by whoever makes the editor? This should support future addition of art work. This affects the editor guy primarily.
* Game engine. Representation of the internal model, auxiliary functions and how it is updated. Contains the physics engine but may also contain other things, such as point statistics and buying upgrades. This affects both the editor guy and the physics guy.
* (AI? This affects the entire world if human level and otherwise noone at all)
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

osuf oboys wrote: * Ideas <=>? Concept development. Quite distinct from the coding part. "Everyone"? Might still be good to have someone in charge for coordinating. This affects everyone.
level design, not only the map but the entire look of the level

in many previous projects i could never get anyone to sit down and think out more than 3 seconds into the future

scripters have no idea what to do, artist do a couple things and get board and move on ect

for me, i like to see a level or quite a few levels already planned out ahead before much of anything happens, during that time people can start to get reasonable expectations of what needs to be in the engine, the engine could be going when the artists start up, and by the time the artist is done with level one, level 2 is already settled and agreed on

i know it was already stated that this would take a long time to do, but if its pretty steady time at the groups pace, that would be nice
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

bartbes wrote:Thanks, I'm setting up github at this very moment.

@Robin: did I write you down for the right things?

EDIT:
@Everyone who has signed up: can you tell me your github accounts so I can add them to the repo?

EDIT2:
And I should mention: MIT/X11 license.

I just signed up as appleide.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Valve Software actually has some damn good advice on organizing a mutli-person project:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Making_a_MOD

It's meant for making a MOD with Half Life, but if you really get in there and look, you can see where it's really more about how to set up a team and leadership and how to get it all together.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

For the temporary artwork, how about This? (@bartbes:) Perhaps not really what you're looking for, though. (If not, what are you looking for?)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, we need to talk to each other in real-time once, as using this forums isn't a really effective way of communicating with each other.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

im sorry, i need a map to read this, and hows graphics
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I have no idea if I understood you correctly, but the graphics can only be created after there is some base engine and we all know what to do, I recommend reading the design document (on github).
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

i did, theres no real information in it, just some loose ideas

Im from the school of you cant have an engine untill you know what your going to put into it, one could make the worlds greatest tile engine for a game but its totally useless if the game ends up having its levels all drawn out on giant panoramic images