Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.7 )

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Xcmd
Party member

Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.7 )

Post by Xcmd »

Hiya. I decided I wanted to make a game that used only the mouse button and was fairly simple to pick up and understand. Thus I created Collapse Field, a game I'm releasing Public Domain because I doubt I'll do much with it beyond this, although if you have any really rad suggestions I'm all ears.

Anyway, the game's simple: hold down the Left Mouse Button (LMB) to generate a field. Once the field reaches full size ( 255 ), the integrity will start to drop. But this loss of integrity starts adding more energy to the accumulated Energy that you're trying to store. You have a target goal of 1000 energy and you have about 50 seconds to accumulate it. If your shield loses all integrity, it'll pop (vanish) and take all your accumulated energy with it and you'll have to start all over.

If you have any questions, let me know. Also let me know if it goes too fast. I use update's delta function, so it should be solid across all systems, but one never knows.

Controls:

LMB / Space - Grow the energy field!
M - Mute / Unmute the game (at the moment it only seems to work while you're actively growing the field?)
R - Reset the Game! (Note that if you're still holding down the LMB or Space, it'll immediately start a new game in Normal mode)

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I used what sounds I could because I couldn't mix my own.

Change Log

v 0.0.7
  • Fixed the game.conf file
v 0.0.6
  • Fixed visual error where mute icon wasn't displaying properly if game reset
    Added game.conf file
v 0.0.5
  • Added some animation
    Added Nightmare! difficulty ( I have confirmed you can beat it! )
    Added background image
    Fixed a visual issue with "Goal" text not lining up with the rest of the text
    Altered visual look of field slightly
v 0.0.4
  • Added intro graphic
    Added 3 levels of difficulty ( I have confirmed you can indeed beat all three )
v 0.0.3
  • Fixed minor bug where timer would continue counting down after game was won.
v 0.0.2
  • Added progress bars for shield size and shield integrity
    Add shrinking noise
    Remixed audio on growing noise
    Added visual mute reference to lower-left
    Mute now functions properly
    Added the ability to use the Space Bar alternatively to the Mouse Button
Road Map

Considered Features (Priority):
  • Different Difficulty Levels, either hard-coded or customizable (DONE!)
    Get some form of animation going so there's more to look at than just progress bars and numbers (DONE!)
    Save a list of top 10 high scores, display at the end of the game (Low)
    Have an intro menu that allows you to configure options and play the game (DONE!)
Attachments
collapseField_v0.0.7.love
(144.89 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Last edited by Xcmd on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Collapse Field - A Simple Game

Post by bartbes »

Nice game, except for the fact I lost when I had accumulated 990 'units'.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Nice.

I have a few suggestions:
  • How about pressing a key, other than R, M and Escape, has the same effect as LMB? That would be ideal for people with busted/breakable mouses, like me.
  • Those fast-changing numbers are hard to read. If you have bars for integrity and accumulated score, it's easier to see when to stop.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

bartbes - I made the game and I lose more than I win. XD

Robin - I can definitely do the keyboard thing, but the bars are going to take a bit of thinking.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Well, a very simple bar could be made by using a rectangle with a constant left, top and height, and a width of var/maxVar*barWidth. That's how I do it with SpaceFlight2D.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Yup, thanks. I figured that out pretty quickly, actually. I fell asleep about two hours after making this game last night. :3 See the new version, lemme know what you think.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.3 )

Post by Robin »

That was fun! To keep it engaging, you could add multiple levels that get increasingly harder, or let the user choose between, for example, "easy | normal | hard | practically impossible".
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.3 )

Post by Xcmd »

Granted! (Version 0.0 4 released.)

*EDIT* Version 0.0.5 has been released, added the "Nightmare!" difficulty and some other nice visual stuff.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.7 )

Post by bartbes »

Great! I love what you did with the UI and sound. And the bars actually make it easier, as you know exactly where you are.. so let's play Nightmare! :P

EDIT: intense.. the lack of time...
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Collapse Field - A Simple Game ( v 0.0.7 )

Post by Xcmd »

But it can be done... I promise. :D