Impoverished Starfighter (LD28)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
danbo
Prole

Impoverished Starfighter (LD28)

Post by danbo »

Hey folks. I don't post much here, but I'm a big fan of Love and I thought I'd give Ludum Dare a whirl. The result is now available for your pleasure!

DOWNLOAD / RATE : http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... &uid=26427
A shoot-em-up where You Only Get One... coin.

Of course, one coin means a one credit clear - no continues allowed. But that's pretty par for the course as shmups go. So, one coin in this context means the coin you get to build your ship with - one dollar.

I love shmups, but the much-maligned "euroshmups" such as Tyrian, Raptor, Jets n Guns never held much bearing for me. Everything was too spammy, the player too tanky, and the power creeps until the game becomes trivial or a case of numbers bashing against each other.

So, I thought I'd make a game in that style and see if I could make something I liked better. I like shmups, and while no good shmup ever made had a shop worth mentioning, building your own ship doesn't sound like a fundamental flaw. To avoid power creep, the resource used to pay for weapons, stats, etc is set in stone, a dollar.

The game is probably poorly balanced. It's also most likely way too hard. Keep trying!

Consult the readme for music/audio sources.

Developed in LOVE2D 0.8.0. I have not tried it against 0.9.0.
ImageImage

Makes use of HUMP, Love Frames, tween.lua, loader.lua... code's an absolute mess, though. Try it out!
MadByte
Party member

Re: Impoverished Starfighter (LD28)

Post by MadByte »

Wow, I love the graphics. Did you created them in two days or did you used free Art assets?
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

MadByte wrote:Wow, I love the graphics. Did you created them in two days or did you used free Art assets?
I used the excellent Remastered Tyrian Graphics, released for free usage by Daniel Cook :

http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/04/free- ... s-and.html
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Well done shooter! I like bullethell! Do you really wrote ~100kb of code in 72h (excl. libraries)?

I mean, it's your first LD game and only your third post in this forum.
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

SiENcE wrote:Well done shooter! I like bullethell! Do you really wrote ~100kb of code in 72h (excl. libraries)?

I mean, it's your first LD game and only your third post in this forum.
It's not my first game jam game, my first was done in Unity in 7 hours. The entity manager was taken from an old project, I think. As for posting in the forum - I'd rather just code! LOVE, and all related libraries, are good enough that I never really have to ask questions.

I will probably pick this up over Christmas or something, clean up the code, balance it better, maybe add a bit more content, port to 0.9.0 . The biggest mistake I made code-wise was not using HUMP timers or something similar, you can see tons of places in the code where it gets really messy trying to deal with timed shots and formations. All that copy+pasted gumph is likely why it's 100k :)
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Well then really good code organization and i'm looking forward to play the post compo version :)!

You to see you in this community. Post more :)