Funky Fishing (again)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
retrotails
Party member

Funky Fishing (again)

Post by retrotails »

Clone of a minigame from Donkey Kong Country on the Gameboy Color. Not much of a game at the moment.
I posted this before, but that was an old post, and the game has been completely rewritten. Still uses many old assets (for now at least.)
Uses some canvas & shader wizardry, all of which I made from scratch, so please tell me if you have errors running it (quite likely on ATI cards)
The attachment funkyfishing.png is no longer available
Goal is to be a complete game with time and weather patterns, and various levels with different fish to get and garbage to avoid. Should work at any resolution >= 640x480, and stereoscopic support is planned.

Controls:
Arrows: Move
Spacebar: Pull hook up
Mouse: Move up/down to change amount of rain

History:
v0.1
Initial release
v0.2
Fixed many graphical bugs
Adds time-of-day effects
Attachments
funkyfishing.love
v0.2
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 177 times
Last edited by retrotails on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: Funky Fishing (again)

Post by Germanunkol »

Works well for me, and looks very good.
The rain effect is overdone, at the area where the boats are - it's hard to see the boats.
Other than that nice start, very atmospheric!

Edit: Forgot to mention: The area where you show the ocean floor is a lttle weird as well. I'd Ither show more of it (don't cut it off on the left and right) or make the cut off transition much smoother. This way it looks like you're looking through a window or something - it's too artificial.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Germanunkol wrote: Edit: Forgot to mention: The area where you show the ocean floor is a lttle weird as well. I'd Ither show more of it (don't cut it off on the left and right) or make the cut off transition much smoother. This way it looks like you're looking through a window or something - it's too artificial.
I really wanted to do it that way, but I'll have to write an alpha mask shader - the problem is that, for gameplay reasons, I can only show so many fish, so they despawn off the edge. If you make the screen super wide, you could have an unfair advantage, and the spawn system would have to be rewritten. The fish have to be in front of the sea floor, and the fog effect has to be in front of the fish. So I'll have to put the fish in their own canvas and alpha blend them instead.
Oh also, about the rain effect, most of the effects are supposed to be detrimental - if it's windy maybe your boats will get pushed, if it rains it's harder to see everything etc. rain will be an abnormal occurrence.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Updated, fixed some bugs, changed the way fish are displayed (as explained in my previous post) and added some weather effects. Use the mouse to change rain strength, for testing purposes.