[MMORPG] Forest Tale v0.3.1 - "That aint no tea leaf"

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bobbyjones
Party member
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by bobbyjones »

How do i close carpenter Fred?
Do you frequently have great ideas but immediately lose them? Check out the MVP for my website called IdeaVault. It is designed to solve that problem. Desktop browsers only currently.
User avatar
Pebsie
Party member
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 am
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by Pebsie »

bobbyjones wrote:How do i close carpenter Fred?
Press C!
bobbyjones wrote:The client is stuck on the authenticating screen. Is your server down? If so i think the client should be able to tell me that. I really like your title screen though it very nice. One more piece of critique I think a password field shouldn't be there unless you have an https connection. For alpha i think it would better to just have nicks with non-persitence accounts. Or maybe use the IP address for persistence? And this seems like it would end up being a nice project can't wait to play. :)
It was for a bit, it's back up now though! :)
Yeah, 0.2.1 will have the client react to not being able to connect.
Thanks!
Password's are stored as text, so yeah, I agree with you, although an integral part of the game is having accounts be persistent. I'll put up a warning in 0.2.1 about password's being unhashed.
Thank you! Make sure to like the Facebook page to get updates as they happen!
Website: http://peb.si
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
User avatar
MadByte
Party member
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by MadByte »

Directly after launching the game (on Windows):
Image
User avatar
Pebsie
Party member
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 am
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by Pebsie »

MadByte wrote:Directly after launching the game (on Windows):
Image
Just updated to 0.2.0.1, run the update and try again, tell me if the problem persists!
Website: http://peb.si
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
bobbyjones
Party member
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by bobbyjones »

Some more feedback. Your code is structured fairly poorly and it would beneficial for you to organize it some more. Example drawworld can be broken up to a bunch of smaller functions so it will be easier to debug or add features. Next performance wise I'm not certain but it looks like you don't use canvases. I recommend using canvases on systems that support it. Canvases have been proven to work wonders for rendering. Another thing is I was spawned in a place where I couldn't move. The server should check for that maybe. Even though now thinking about it I might have been able to destroy the tree. Another thing free movement would make the experience a lot more enjoyable. So in the end I think if you modularize your code fixing all of these features should be a piece of cake also I would like a re sizable window as well. lol I know a tall order. But I do like a lot of things about the game. Its very good and I'm certain i can not do better my self.

Sources for cleaning your code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUNr4AeLZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVJSGYUIjc
Do you frequently have great ideas but immediately lose them? Check out the MVP for my website called IdeaVault. It is designed to solve that problem. Desktop browsers only currently.
User avatar
MadByte
Party member
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by MadByte »

Problem solved.
Some more things that could be changed:
  • - Options Menu (mainly to set volume of the music atm) or at least a key to disable the music.
    - Feature to simply hold an arrow key to hit or build something instead of releasing it and then pressing it again.
    - Storm: In my opinion the lighting effect is "to much". Maybe you can set the alpha of the white to
    150 instead of 255 at the beginning. would be cool to always see the game screen :)
    - Launcher currently don't keep settings. I always need to check the "I have löve installed" checkbox again.
User avatar
Pebsie
Party member
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 am
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by Pebsie »

bobbyjones wrote:Some more feedback. Your code is structured fairly poorly and it would beneficial for you to organize it some more. Example drawworld can be broken up to a bunch of smaller functions so it will be easier to debug or add features. Next performance wise I'm not certain but it looks like you don't use canvases. I recommend using canvases on systems that support it. Canvases have been proven to work wonders for rendering. Another thing is I was spawned in a place where I couldn't move. The server should check for that maybe. Even though now thinking about it I might have been able to destroy the tree. Another thing free movement would make the experience a lot more enjoyable. So in the end I think if you modularize your code fixing all of these features should be a piece of cake also I would like a re sizable window as well. lol I know a tall order. But I do like a lot of things about the game. Its very good and I'm certain i can not do better my self.

Sources for cleaning your code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUNr4AeLZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVJSGYUIjc
Yeah, I entirely agree, the code is a horrible mess of ideas and poor practice (I coded a similar thing a year ago and to save time some of the code has been lifted from there: this includes code that I wrote before I understood table.insert etc), it's to be cleaned up in a future update since I think that it'd be cool if some people made mods for it. I was testing world regrowth last night and it got more than a little bit hectic; I'm going to turn that feature off probably indefinitely (had to restore a world backup from yesterday). I'll make the window resizable in 0.2.1 (The graphics will stretch, though, that is another thing that I'll be returning to fix at a later date). I'll look into canvases; anything is better than drawing a few hundred 32x32 images every frame. Thanks for the feedback! :awesome:

MadByte wrote:Problem solved.
Some more things that could be changed:
  • - Options Menu (mainly to set volume of the music atm) or at least a key to disable the music.
    - Feature to simply hold an arrow key to hit or build something instead of releasing it and then pressing it again.
    - Storm: In my opinion the lighting effect is "to much". Maybe you can set the alpha of the white to
    150 instead of 255 at the beginning. would be cool to always see the game screen :)
    - Launcher currently don't keep settings. I always need to check the "I have löve installed" checkbook again.
Good to hear!
Yeah, that'll be coming shortly. As much as <i>I</i> love the music but it can get super repetitive with only short breaks in between.
Yep, 0.2.1! (I'm writing out a feature list based on feedback I've been getting)
I'll test that out or perhaps make it an option to set the alpha custom (since I guess that'd make it playable by people with epilepsy)
I'll update the launcher probably later today to get that sorted.
Thank youuu for the feedback!
Website: http://peb.si
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
bobbyjones
Party member
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by bobbyjones »

Experienced another crash hope it didn't crash the server as well :(
http://imgur.com/7LKDo9T
Do you frequently have great ideas but immediately lose them? Check out the MVP for my website called IdeaVault. It is designed to solve that problem. Desktop browsers only currently.
User avatar
Pebsie
Party member
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:35 am
Location: Lincoln, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by Pebsie »

bobbyjones wrote:Experienced another crash hope it didn't crash the server as well :(
http://imgur.com/7LKDo9T
Nope, server is just fine! That was just a minor exception, I've fixed it now so that shouldn't happen again.

Speaking, of I've just released version 2.1!

Code: Select all

KEY:
	+ Addition
	* Fix or alteration
	- Removal
	> Point of interest
	? Fictitious

Client changes regard things that the user will visibly see, usually as a result to a modification of both the client and the server.
Server changes regard things that the user won't visible see, but will in most cases notice.
Environmental / world changes regard visible things that are out of the players control that have been modified.

THIS IS A MANDATORY UPDATE, SERVERS FOR 0.2.0.1 ARE NOW DOWN.

Client changes:
	+ Added chat
		> Press enter to start typing in a chat message and then press enter again to send the message
		> This is a WIP: restrictions (all of which are to be worked on)
			> Only stores the last 5 messages received
			> Some messages may not be received by all clients
			> You cannot type commas as these are used to differentiate between commands by the server
	+ The client now makes use of canvases
		> Essentially, the world is only drawn when it needs to be rather than every frame
		> This should lead to major FPS and stability improvements
		> This is experimental and there may be a few glitches. You can press C to toggle canvas mode.
		> This won't work on super old GPUs and will be off by default (you can try forcing canvas by pressing C)
		> A lot of stuff isn't running under the canvas and so further optimisation is to be made using this
	+ You can now hold down an item use key to use it repetitivelyw
	* The network now updates every 0.2 seconds when canvas mode is on
	* The game window is now resizable
	* Lowered the intensity of lightning flashes
	* Corrected hunger drain when running (was meant to be +0.25/s but was +0.5/s)
	* Hunger now increases much slower when idle (33 minutes, up from 16 minutes)
	* Rubber banding when running should be reduced if not entirely removed
	* Fixed a bug that caused the client to crash in some cases after picking up items
	* The client now displays when connection to the server has been lost
	* Fixed an issue where the client would sometimes crash in Linux if no entity data had been received
Environmental / world changes:
	* Moss now grows slower, average of around 3 days
	* Moss now destroys blocks slower, average of around 7 days
	? Carpenter Fred is now on strike, complaining that his work conditions are atrocious and that he is given no rest breaks.
Website: http://peb.si
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
bobbyjones
Party member
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Forest Tale - "Minecraft but like Runescape?????"

Post by bobbyjones »

I think you need to add enemies and maybe money and crafting already. A trade interface would be nice too. And if you like i can look through your code and try to profile and optimize it.
Do you frequently have great ideas but immediately lose them? Check out the MVP for my website called IdeaVault. It is designed to solve that problem. Desktop browsers only currently.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests