Creating a game company.

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
steven777
Prole

Creating a game company.

Post by steven777 »

Hello I am starting a crowd funded game based on the comunity. I am currently in development of a mmo/rpg space shooter.

Here is the go fund me for the company. Not so much the game but the all proceeds go tothe building and buying of server space as well as hiring a small team to develop the game.

Here is the go fund me.

https://www.gofundme.com/2fr2r7sc

Even if it's just 2$, send it this way.

Any questions, leave me comments or pm me, you can also facebook me and get at me threw email.

I hope you guys will enjoy it either way. I am trying to get it on steam but at the moment only the server frame work exists for the game.

I am currently creating content for the game. Since it is just me you can imagen trying to pull of at least a AA game is going to be of some challange. .

I hope you all will come toget her as a comunity and push out a game for the comunity.

Any and all ides toward the game can and should be commented here. The game and servers are writen in love 2D.

Game content as more comes up in the next few months, I was just trying to get this started.

Anyone who donates money will be credited in the end for .a king this possible and as you can imagine it's going to be quite a long list :)

~ pace and love to my fellow developers
Steven Andrews
ivan
Party member

Re: Creating a game company.

Post by ivan »

Hello Steven,
Good try, but I think it may be a little too early for crowdfunding in this case.
Ideally, you want to have a playable demo before you ask people for money.
My point is: you're not going to get a lot of funding when your game is 0% complete.
Also, keep in mind that 50K is a lot of money for an indie game,
you might want to reassess that amount.
steven777
Prole

Post by steven777 »

Yea i changed it to 5K thats nothing really.
Since I am not trying to sell it through steam i decided to go for the crowdfunding right of the bat.
There is a playable demo its just not online. Its a map with some pre.... pre alpha code that would probably only take a week to get it ready to show you all some kinda of something. I just do not want to show you anything that will be subjected to change over the next few months.

Even if the game where almost ready it wouldn't really be community based... I would just be like every other guy trying to pitch his already set in stone game to the masses. At least this way the public controls what they want to be in the end. That is what my community is about.

What I wanted to do is generate a little news over the game and then release video here in the next few weeks. At the moment the login servers, and the main server where all the data is stored are both about to be finished and we can start moving on to the alpha client.

The alpha client is a test bench we use to run the game off of. The gui gives us a little extra functionality to create the game. So you guys wee get to see how its made from the ground up.

The first video you guys will see is a test map with Ai players played over a network. It will be a local network trial. Still not for play at that point.

The next few videos you see will be testing of the combat features in arena style combat. If you would like to the FAQ sheet for the game please go here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/galaxy-gate

everything from now on be directed to the moddb page as the official source of news.
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

steven777 wrote:Yea i changed it to 5K thats nothing really.
Yeah, that's nothing. :death:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Thing is, you won't even get that "nothing" without showing/telling anything substantial and specific.

There was already someone here who tried crowdfunding, and their game was playable even... dare i say it may have turned out to be fun, as well. Alas, their funding goal wasn't reached.

All i'm saying is, that i hope you at least considered the option that your funding goals won't be met. Don't get too disappointed if that happens.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Pangit
Party member

Post by Pangit »

To add to this, in the past there were attempts by established programmers, people that had produced hit games back in the day trying to get new projects funded. These game franchises already had a fan-base, history and the programmers a proven track record and couldn't get funding.

Sometimes all they had was concept art (Dizzy & Pitfall) while others had a technical demo - (Nighttrap).

This might seem very dated, but have you considered share-ware instead. Create the first few levels/stages of your game. Get it out there and develop a player base first for free. Then you offer each player a chance to buy the full version from you. Try something more limited at first - something you could do on your own in a year or so. Get that game shipped and in the market then your have more of a platform to seek funding.

For example - A realistic one year project would be something like Dragon Quest I, that was one guy with some sound assets. That's a perfect shareware type program. You could make a little money, give you some experience in industry and make a name for yourself.

Perhaps do this for your end of year final project at university. More than one game got started that way. You would have to do that final project anyway just make it fabulous and you get two birds with one stone. You complete your degree with a excellent project and you have your first program ready to sell.
steven777
Prole

Post by steven777 »

Im looking into it to be honest, there is now a single player in the works. Story is being written, not by me either. So you should see the story plot unfold on moddb. We have 2 writers, 1 sound guy, 1 network and game programmer. No one gets payed until the release.

Insted of giving out share wear weather i get funding or not there will be a pre alpha/alpha game available to play. It should be online threw a game server im creating. This will serve as my tech demo until I complete all of the back end and art assets. You should see new art every week.

And really I am not expecting people to donate much, a dollar goes a long way as long as allot of people are throwing packet change.

I do not want huge hand outs. Give what you can and if its nothing at all at least I peaked your interest enough to read the description of the game.

Currently this is the project for school, also looks good on job applications. Do expect the game to come out. Just do not expect it fast unless money comes in. Right now I am funding my self. it cost 400 for a business license in my state, and i have legal fees to cover. I have a few months before this becomes an issue. Right now I am just making all the assets needed to make the game.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

We have 2 writers
I would seriously consider letting one of them serve as a copy editor. I'm not saying that to be rude or funny, I think this could only benefit you since your crowd funding page is mostly text at this point. Making sure it's well-written could really make a difference.
deströyer
Prole

Post by deströyer »

$5k = 4 people @ $25/hour for about a week. I can guarantee you that you will not make an MMO, with 1 coder, in a week.

When you take other peoples money through a crowdfunding campaign you are making them a promise that they will get something in return. You will either not be profitable and burn out trying to deliver something on less than $1/hr, or disappoint the people who gave you money (and possibly face litigation).

You are better off not crowdfunding this - certainly not at this stage of development (prototype), with your current track record (none). It will only restrict you. Instead, work on it in your spare time - you will learn a ton!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

You need prototyping in order to make sure the project is worthwhile.
As Zorg said, you can't just depend on money to make everything happen,
it's more of a question of effort and creativity.