Slick Slices

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jwatt
Prole

Slick Slices

Post by Jwatt »

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-3 ... w&uid=5551

I made this to test out some of Love's conveniences compared to frameworks I've used before - especially scissors, but also life's little pleasures like audio and color and fonts being easily adjustable. Oh, and of course being able to make a playable game with very limited time/effort.

Try it out, it's pretty fun for a thing whose actual gameplay was made in an hour. My top score is 40.
curious handcrafted games
MadByte
Party member

Re: Slick Slices

Post by MadByte »

I actually played something similar on my mobile phone recently. :cool:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/stack/id1080487957

Anyway good job. Seems like your "Pinball Text" form your previous game works out well :p
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

That's pretty pro! Using isometry to allow two axes of stacking, it's certainly a more refined take on the concept.

Glad people remember my bigger project too. I've been busy with life, so I thought I could at least link this game here to stay in touch with the forums.

...And yeah, that font is here to stay. I used to be a BM Germar kind of guy, but that's so 2015.
Zarty55
Citizen

Post by Zarty55 »

Pretty cool! Something I discovered to abuse is the fact that the platform always spawns on the right. So if you begin your tower right where it spawns you can get high scores just by having a rythmic "z" button pressing hability. Maybe alternating the spawn randomly between each side would prevent this?
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

Spamming Z is not as much you cheating at the game as the game cheating you. I did notice it early on and it seems enticing, but nobody has actually been able to keep up rapid and nearly frame-perfect tapping for very long. It gets messed up easily because of the cumulative effect of losing pixels.

The rhythm element can still be useful for getting in the zone, so I didn't want to randomize the spawning positions. But the noteworthy scores are going to need some degree of care too.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Jwatt wrote:Spamming Z is not as much you cheating at the game as the game cheating you.
I've actually beaten your score that way with 44 ;)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Jwatt wrote:But the noteworthy scores are going to need some degree of care too.
Havent tried the game out yet, but regarding this and from the gif you posted, seems like no matter how perfect or off your stacking is, currently those do nothing with regards to how much your score.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

It doesn't matter, but a non-perfect stacking reduces both the width of the box you have to stack and of the area where you can stack it; that way it gets harder and harder to stack, unless you stack perfectly.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics