reFU3L() - I guess you could call it the 'full' version of FU3L()

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

reFU3L() - I guess you could call it the 'full' version of FU3L()

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

reFU3L() is the non GMTKjam version of FU3L() and brings some new stuff that I wanted to add and some changes I wanted to make, it's mostly small stuff or quality of life improvement. I thought this would be done in less than a week but, alas, here I am uploading this 22 days after the jam has ended.
Here are some of the changes in no particular order:
  • added five new weapons and removed one of the old ones for being too similar to the standard missiles
  • added a proper menu
  • replaced soundeffects with some new ones
  • added the option to swap the player for an arrow shape
  • added HighScores
  • added rebindable controls
  • The debris from killed enemies can now be picked up for bonus points and fuel, pick up enough of them in a short period of time and you'll enter 'super mode'
  • some bug fixes and framerate improvements
  • Various other visual and gameplay tweaks that I can't be bothered to write down
Anyways, FU3L() is a zero-gravity top-down shooter where killing enemies gives you fuel that you need in order to move effectively. I promise there is more to it than that but I think it's better if you just play it ;) .

Screenshots:

Controls:
Turn left = 'A'
Turn right = 'D'
Accelerate = 'W'
Fire = 'SPACE'

Downloads:
the new and improved version:
reFU3L.love
(9.43 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
the old one:
FU3L().love
(260.38 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

itch.io page:
https://hydrogen-maniac.itch.io/fu3l
https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam/rate/159157
Last edited by Hydrogen Maniac on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm way too sober for this...
robotron9000
Prole

Re: FU3L() - A game made in 48 hours for the GMTK Jam

Post by robotron9000 »

Love the presentation and the feel of this. The parallax starfield is so simple but really looks awesome. Love how powerful the weapons feel too. The first time I pressed the fire button I was just like "Oh yeah!"

The ramp up in difficulty after you collect your first heart is insane. The extreme acceleration, loads of debris and tiny play field was just too much for me too handle. I also had trouble telling which way my ship was facing in the heat of the moment, and would thrust myself directly in to a rock. I think it might be nice if the ship was an obvious arrow shape.

The tactic I tried was just to stay in the first "level" as long as possible.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

robotron9000 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am Love the presentation and the feel of this. The parallax starfield is so simple but really looks awesome. Love how powerful the weapons feel too. The first time I pressed the fire button I was just like "Oh yeah!"

The ramp up in difficulty after you collect your first heart is insane. The extreme acceleration, loads of debris and tiny play field was just too much for me too handle. I also had trouble telling which way my ship was facing in the heat of the moment, and would thrust myself directly in to a rock. I think it might be nice if the ship was an obvious arrow shape.

The tactic I tried was just to stay in the first "level" as long as possible.
Thanks for playing :awesome: , the difficulty jump is probably just a coincidence seeing how the enemy count isn't connected to the pickups. I'll try to make the game a little less busy in future but I won't post something until the game jam has fully ended.
DmL
Prole

Post by DmL »

This is great! It's so juicy, and the weapons are pure bliss. Great presentation. Keep up the good work!
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

DmL wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:50 pm This is great! It's so juicy, and the weapons are pure bliss. Great presentation. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, glad you liked it! :awesome:
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Final Score: 193
This is awesome! Totally agree with what others have said about how nice the weapons are. Also agree it's a little hard to see which direction the ship is pointing.

I really like the colors chosen. That and the hand-drawn look of some of hearts and X's reminds me a bit of GoNNER.

Thanks for sharing!
Pospos
Citizen

Post by Pospos »

i really like this game
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

CaptainMaelstrom wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:56 am Final Score: 193
This is awesome! Totally agree with what others have said about how nice the weapons are. Also agree it's a little hard to see which direction the ship is pointing.

I really like the colors chosen. That and the hand-drawn look of some of hearts and X's reminds me a bit of GoNNER.

Thanks for sharing!
193 is pretty good, think my highscore is something like 260 but I can't remember exactly. Probably would've added a HighScore screen if I had the time, think I'll add that for the non GMTK version of the game along with some graphics settings to alleviate the whole 'my ship is a jumbled mess of pixels and I can't tell where I'm facing' problem since that seems to be a common thing. Anyways, I'm happy you enjoyed it. :awesome:
Pospos wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm i really like this game
Thanks man. :ultrahappy:
drhayes
Prole

Post by drhayes »

This game was a lot of fun! I went really slowly and crawled around looking for ships to kill. I played at work so didn't get a chance to up my score very much, too embarrassed to mention it here. Like someone else said, really juicy, love the shakes and particles. The controls were just great, and I loved the graphics and colors. Nice!