Marvellous Inc. - Programming Puzzle game on STEAM!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
rilifon
Prole

Marvellous Inc. - Programming Puzzle game on STEAM!

Post by rilifon »

Hey there lovers!

We at Marvellous Soft have finally launched our first game on Steam: Marvellous Inc.! It's a programming puzzle open-source indie game made entirely on Love2D 0.10 :D

In the game you program a robot to complete tasks, while following an interesting plot through emails. Check it out here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8279 ... llous_Inc/
or in our itch.io page here:
https://marvellous.itch.io/marvellous-inc

To contribute with the LÖVE community that has helped us over so many years, we are giving away 3 FREE STEAM KEYS, so grab them while you can!

T5JG8-6IL0R-VMWNK
W3TLR-B99LW-HXTAF
6778A-64069-JJELI

But even if you get here too late, the game is just 4,99$! (And we guarantee its worth a lot more than that :3)

Hope you guys love the games as much as we loved making it! We put a lot of work and love towards it, and if you can, please share it with friends that would be interested in this niche of an genre :D

O//
Nelvin
Party member

Re: Marvellous Inc. - Programming Puzzle game on STEAM!

Post by Nelvin »

I got one of the keys, thanks a lot for that.

Played a few of the early levels, quite a nice little logic game so far.

Two problems you should try to fix.

When I wanted to leave the game I pressed the power off button, got back to the title screen but there's no option to quit the game. Not all users will know about ctrl-f4 to exit an app, at least support pressing escape too, but an actual button would be better imo.

Also, if you press x to delete the current player you seem to use an OS popup for it's confirmation but when the game is in fullscreen mode, the popup may not be visible (it wasn't here on my machine) and the game appears to hang. Alt tabbing didn't work in the situation too, so I had to use the task manager.
Casual/unexperienced users may try the x to leave the app and accidentally confirm as they try different keys when the game seems to hang.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Hey, I've activated the second key and added your game to the following curator page:
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/ ... 6VE-Games/
It's an interesting concept, I just wished the graphics were a little more obvious.
I understand that's not what the game is about, but it would be good if I could figure out the objective just by looking at the level (instead of having to read the objective off a separate page).
Would have never guessed those were "giant buckets". :)
Overall it's not a bad a game, but it could use some spit and polish.
Cheers.

PS. Also, if you plan on open-sourcing the code, why not just distribute the game "unfused" - it would make modifying the code much easier.
Stifu
Party member

Post by Stifu »

Heya, I'm the one who grabbed the last key. Thanks, and congrats for the release!
Zabuyaki, our upcoming beat 'em up: https://www.zabuyaki.com
yancouto
Prole

Post by yancouto »

Hey, another dev here. Thank you all for the constructive criticism.
ivan wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:35 am PS. Also, if you plan on open-sourcing the code, why not just distribute the game "unfused" - it would make modifying the code much easier.
The source is available on https://github.com/MarvellousSoft/MarvInc.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

F**n' love it. I've bought it from itch.io after trying it out at GitHub, it was well worth it. Though clearly inspired by HRM, this one is better in many respects. The puzzles so far are well balanced; the HRM ones became boring for me after a while. I just passed the division by 125 puzzle (very interesting one, and to prove I've completed it, once you realize the gist of it, it takes exactly 7 lines assuming you place the label and the instruction on the same line). :cool: <- my sunglasses

Edit: Alas, "Division II" got me. No idea how to calculate absolute value of floor division by 57 with 1 register and 10 instructions. Glad these are optional! Edit2: YAY! Got it! :awesome: 10 instructions exactly, not sure if it can be reduced further. (I won't say anything else to not give any spoilers)

It also reminds me a bit of another all-time favourite, Robot Odyssey, which I guess was also used as inspiration.

I'm experiencing a problem with disabling the bot chat, but I'll submit it as an issue in GitHub.

Few criticisms:

- I miss some kind of stop instruction, or a requirement to jump to the end of the program, just to encourage good practices (the objective should not be considered as achieved unless the program stops at that point). I've written most or all of my programs that way so far, and only once I was short in space; incidentally, that's how I learned that you could place label and instruction in the same line, which let me pass the level.
- So far there's a lot of puzzles about the terminals (too HRM-style) and too little about movement and action. For comparison, Robot Odyssey was all about the action.
- I would have preferred that the instructions taking an address, accepted a reference instead, e.g. use [0] instead of 0, giving an error if the indirection was missing. It would make the coding easier.
rilifon
Prole

Post by rilifon »

Nelvin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 am When I wanted to leave the game I pressed the power off button, got back to the title screen but there's no option to quit the game. Not all users will know about ctrl-f4 to exit an app, at least support pressing escape too, but an actual button would be better imo.

Also, if you press x to delete the current player you seem to use an OS popup for it's confirmation but when the game is in fullscreen mode, the popup may not be visible (it wasn't here on my machine) and the game appears to hang. Alt tabbing didn't work in the situation too, so I had to use the task manager.
Casual/unexperienced users may try the x to leave the app and accidentally confirm as they try different keys when the game seems to hang.
Hey there, thanks for playing our game and making us aware of those issues!

We just corrected them in this two issues at our github repository:

First issue on the OS popup:], it seemes the problem is with Love2d and creating popups in fullscreen mode. WE made our own warning popup and stopped using this OS embedded on Love2D, so this problem shouldn't happen again ^^
https://github.com/MarvellousSoft/MarvInc/issues/210

Second issue, we added a proper exit button, and changed the icon of the Reboot button to proper represent what it does.
https://github.com/MarvellousSoft/MarvInc/issues/205

Also, I'll add this weekend an exit button on the menu screen so you can properly quit, even in fullscreen mode. You can follow my progress on this issue here:
https://github.com/MarvellousSoft/MarvInc/issues/216

All of those fixes will be added in the version of the game, which we are planning to launch next monday, 7 of may.

Thanks again for playing our game, and fell free to create more issues in our repository (best way to reach us with bugs or suggest features), or create a discussion in our Steam forum (we are planning to create a subreddit someday, if there is a large number of people interested hehe)

Have a great day ^^